434 S. Vermont Ave.
Reporting to Director of Operations, the Communication Coordinator will help coordinate an internal and external communication plan to consistently articulate, enable and fulfill the Islamic Center of Southern California’s mission, utilizing traditional and new media strategies to proactively reach key audiences. This individual will be a creative, innovative and results-driven team member. Experience in marketing and communication, combined with passion for the vision and goals of the Center are critical to success in this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with Board of Directors, Communication Committee and Director of Operations to help develop and coordinate a communication plan aimed at building brand awareness and positive public relations with various audiences.
- Contribute to creative and innovative ideas for unique, cost-effective, results-oriented communication campaigns and activities aligned with Center vision, mission and goals.
- Design, write and coordinate the distribution of all print and electronic content including, but not limited to, website, social media, blogs, newsletters, e-newsletters, brochures, invitations, development collateral, annual reports, audio/video marketing projects, and other related online and print communications.
- Coordinate the Islamic Center’s website and social media accounts (such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc.), ensuring that content is regularly and consistently updated and posted with new information that promotes the Center and its mission.
- Utilize data gathering and analysis tools, including social media and Center website analytics, to track, measure and report on the level of engagement and results from various communications campaigns, plans and events.
- Coordinate media relations efforts and communicate the Center’s mission with media members.
- Interact with Center staff, volunteers, supporters and other constituents to gather information and create, design and write appropriate stories for publication and related projects.
- Coordinate the Center’s communication budget and oversee, if applicable, any communication interns or volunteers.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, public relations, communication or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in journalism, public relations, communication, graphic design or a related field that utilizes communication skills.
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation communication skills.
- Experience in evaluating and working with various types of social media to build positive public relations with various audiences.
- Experience designing, writing and coordinating print and electronic content including, but not limited to, social media, newsletters, brochures, online reports, e-newsletters, printed collateral, video/audio products, website, blogs, photography, and other related online and print communications.
- Ability to analyze data and recommend various action plans as well as measure and track social media utilizing analysis tools (such as Google Analytics, click through rates).
- Strong time management skills and ability to exercise good judgment in a changing environment.
- Experience and proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in graphic design, photography and desktop publishing software (Photoshop, Publisher, Illustrator).
- Experience in utilization of various Internet applications and programs.
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong passion and affinity for Center’s vision, mission and goals.
- Diligent and productive individual who is an effective problem solver.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, Communication Committee, volunteers, program participants and other supporters.
- Hands-on, detailed oriented with analytical skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a changing environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Health insurance and paid time off are also provided.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit your resume and responses to the supplemental questionnaire below by Monday, September 24, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit responses to the following Supplemental Questionnaire to help the Search Committee evaluate your skills and experience relevant to the Communication Coordinator position. Limit your responses to one page or less per question. Email this supplemental questionnaire with your resume by the stated deadline.
- Describe your experience coordinating communication efforts for an organization. Please indicate how you would approach your role for the Islamic Center.
- Describe your experience using digital communications or social media to promote programs, services or initiatives. How have you used social media to support an organization’s or program’s communication strategies?
- While identifying your qualifications for the Communication Coordinator position, describe your interest in communication and how a strong communication effort will benefit the Islamic Center.