1147 W Jackson Blvd
HUBBARD STREET DANCE CHICAGO
POSITION TITLE: Custodian
REPORTS TO: Facilities & Operations Manager
At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage, and change lives through the experience of dance.
We are seeking a dynamic, proactive, mission-driven individual to join Hubbard Street’s Operations team. Reporting to the Facilities & Operations Manager, the Custodian will perform the regular cleaning and maintenance of our 50,000 sq. ft. facility, including offices, dance studios, dressing rooms, and all public-facing areas. The Custodian will be responsible for following a regular schedule of cleaning, while responding to work orders and urgent requests as needed. The ideal candidate will be self-directed and will have a proactive approach to building maintenance, and will work with the Facilities & Operations Manager to develop long-term maintenance strategies for Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.
This position is part of a larger Operations/Producing team that is responsible for overseeing operations, finance, human resources, facilities and IT, as well as line producing all production and touring activities.
Job may require early mornings and at least one weekend day.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the assigned daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning routine, which includes but is not limited to:
- Empty trash and recycling receptacles, clean floors, wash mirrors, dust surfaces in public areas, vacuum/shampoo carpets, mop studio floors.
- Restock bathroom supplies and maintain stock of janitorial supplies; make monthly orders. Keep supplies stored and organized.
- Organize and oversee mailroom, including office equipment and ordering of supplies.
- Responsible for managing janitorial and office supplies budgets.
- Prioritize public-facing areas and ensure a well-cared-for appearance.
- Respond to maintenance requests and effectively communicate repair timelines.
- Repair minor building problems such as burned out light bulbs, leaking faucets, and simple clogged plumbing.
- Complete periodic facility maintenance projects including paint touch-ups, replacing acoustical ceiling tiles, changing filters on water fountains, cleaning and sanitizing refrigerators and ice machines, replacing ballast, and installing hand dryers in bathrooms.
- Seasonal responsibilities may include snow removal and sidewalk salt distribution.
- Work with Facilities & Operations Manager to develop and maintain preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for facility, mechanical systems, and company property. Make improvements recommendations.
· Opportunity to participate in facilities envisioning conversations that are underway for Hubbard Street.
· Attend occasional City inspections as HSDC’s representative; point of contact for contractors who schedule repairs for the early morning.
· Other duties as assigned.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Minimum two years working in a related field.
- This position is on the front lines of receiving and prioritizing requests for assistance and repair: a customer service attitude, flexibility, and a “team player” sensibility essential.
- Initiative, timely follow-though and generative problem-solving; ability to adapt to changing priorities with grace and ease under time constraints.
- Must enjoy working closely with widely different groups of people in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Ability to work well without direct supervision.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds unassisted.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume (.pdfs only) detailing your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include CUSTODIAN in the subject line of your email. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.