Details: Salary is to be determined depending upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with some flexibility available.
654 Mission St
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Salary: Depending upon experience
SPUR is one of the country’s leading urban policy organizations. Through research, education, and advocacy SPUR promotes good planning and good government. SPUR is a non-profit membership organization that draws support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The person in this position would operate out of the SPUR Urban Center in San Francisco but provides support for San Jose and Oakland individual giving programs as well.
SPUR is seeking a strategic and dynamic Director of Individual Giving, a newly created position to enhance our individual giving program in order to accelerate SPUR’s mission in a profound way. The director will serve as a key leadership position within SPUR’s development team and is initially responsible for generating $500,000 in annual revenue. He/she will drive strategy, cultivate long term relationships, and refine critical fundraising systems for SPUR’s individual membership programs. The position oversees two full time development staff members, the Membership Manager and the Development Systems Associate.
- In collaboration with CDO, develop and implement acquisition, renewal and retention strategies for the entire individual membership program, with a direct focus on the Urban Leaders Council
- Develop internal fundraising systems aimed at elevating the member experience, identifying and qualifying prospects, and defining metrics for success
- Evaluate all membership campaigns and appeals against metrics
- Identify and implement unique engagement opportunities for the Urban Leaders Council
- Work closely with SPUR’s Public Engagement team to bridge their efforts with the member experience
- Collaborate with the Director of Corporate Philanthropy to enhance individual donor fundraising at general SPUR events (such as Silver SPUR and Impact Awards)
- Responsible for raising $500,000 in support of SPUR’s $7.5M annual budget
- Manage a portfolio of 50-75 mid-level donors ($1,000-$9,999), communicating effectively with donors through face-to-face and electronic cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts
- Plan and oversee the implementation of the membership acquisition, upgrade and renewal processes for all membership levels
- Conceptualize and organize Urban Leaders Council events and experiences in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland
- Develop, track and analyze metrics for renewing and upgrading of members. In collaboration with the CDO, manage the major donor committee to assist in identification, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Utilize and champion SPUR’s CRM system for the individual giving team
- Oversee the Membership Manager
- Oversee the Data Systems Associate
- Provide lead consultation for architecture of a high performing moves management process within SPUR’s new CRM transition to Salesforce
- Assist in developing donor reports that will assist in all aspects of individual gifts fundraising
- Strong command of the membership budget including revenue and expenses to run the membership program
- Maintain visibility and availability in the community and frequently attend community events
- Engage in continuous learning and improvement so SPUR can become a more effective fundraising organization over time
- Other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong track record of relationship-based business development, fundraising or marketing
- Ability to work in Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 3-4 years of experience in cultivating and soliciting individual gifts
- 3-4 years of experience in managing memberships
- Interest in urban and public/civic affairs
- Comfort and willingness to ask for money
- Self-directing initiative
- Keen sense of judgment to handle complex donor relationships
- Proven effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- High attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to existing systems and improve upon them
- Proficient use of Salesforce, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Salary is to be determined depending upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with some flexibility available. SPUR offers a rich package of health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), 25% retirement contribution matching, and monthly transit pass.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and, skills required of personnel so assigned.
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.