Full Time Contract
Details: Living Allowance
6464 Sunset Blvd.
About LA Promise Zone
The LA Promise Zone Initiative is a collective impact project to fight urban poverty. The City of Los Angeles is the lead agency in this initiative and the Youth Policy Institute is the lead implementation partner. The LA Promise Zone AmeriCorps VISTA Operations Team is housed within the Mayor’s Office of Economic Opportunity and located at the YPI Hollywood FamilySource Center in Hollywood.
The LA Promise Zone was established in January 2014 and is a 10-year initiative. It is located in Central Los Angeles, covering the diverse communities of Pico-Union, Westlake, Wilshire Center, East Hollywood and Hollywood. These five neighborhoods lie just west of downtown Los Angeles. The area is one of the most densely populated in Los Angeles — housing 34,000 people per square mile, compared with an average density of 8,000 across the city. The LA Promise Zone is home to over 165,000 residents. Only 60% of students graduate from high school in four years and 35% of adult residents have less than a high school diploma.
In the LA Promise Zone, is dedicated to boosting quality of life for residents and improving the places they call home. The LA Promise Zone, a collective impact initiative with 75 public, private and social sector organizations, is central to this effort — combating urban poverty by providing young people with a “cradle-to-college-and-career” pathway. This approach creates better educational outcomes for youth, and ripple effects of positive change for surrounding communities.
The LA Promise Zone Strategic Plan goals center on economic development, education, public safety, and sustainable neighborhoods. VISTA members will have a unique opportunity to work building capacity to support the goals and developing an in-depth understanding of the challenges and opportunities of collective impact work working with a cohort of VISTAs, the City’s Mayor’s Office, with YPI, the HUD Community Liaison, and with the cohort of partner organizations.
The LA Promise Zone VISTA Leader will serve as a mentor, coach and team leader to four other AmeriCorps VISTA members and manage and support the work of the LA Promise Zone implementation team. The VISTA Leader will ensure the other LA Promise Zone VISTA members meet their objectives of developing programs, creating and implementing a comprehensive communication plan, supporting working groups and coordinating with and building capacity of partners to deliver services.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The LA Promise Zone VISTA Leader will carry out the following activities during their tenure of service:
- Serve as leader and mentor to four LA Promise Zone VISTA members, including the minimum contacts listed below to assess members' progress in achieving goals, address challenges, celebrate successes, and provide overall support: weekly group check-in’s, a total of twelve monthly group meetings, and monthly one-on-one meetings with each member.
- Assist LA Promise Zone VISTA Supervisor(s) with identifying needed trainings for members, tracking project progress through twelve monthly reports, develop reporting methods, and a sharing system.
- Facilitate internal team communication through the production of weekly staff reports, implementation team reports and monthly reports for the LA Promise Zone Leadership Council.
- Facilitate communications with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development LA Promise Zone Community Liaison, including fielding inquiries, handling communications with HUD's Los Angeles field staff, obtaining information needed from HUD to develop and implement Promise Zone strategies, and communicate about funding and resources opportunities from federal agencies.
- Field inquiries from external agencies as it relates to LA Promise Zone matters; provide answers or referrals as needed
- Coordinate the quarterly meetings of the LA Promise Zone Leadership Council, and weekly and/or monthly implementation team meetings, developing meeting agendas, board reports, and handling meeting logistics as needed.
- Serve as point person for LA Promise Zone to answer questions and coordinate communications around the LA Promise Zone federal grant preference point process.
- Support the HUD Community Liaison with development and maintenance of master list of grant applications supporting LA Promise Zone work, including communications with applicants and monitoring of grant-funded activity when awarded.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of one LA Promise Zone neighborhood
- Attend at least 10 community meeting and/or events in the selected neighborhoods
- Organize one “place-based” partner meeting in the selected neighborhood
In order to complete the activities above, it is preferred for the VISTA Leader to have the following skills/qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in business administration, management, or related fields
- One year of completed VISTA service
- Knowledge of business systems and processes
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and interest in serving as a mentor to other members
- Comfort communicating with different levels of staff, from volunteers to executive-level staff
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Must be deadline oriented with the ability to multitask and handle various projects and responsibilities
Youth Policy Institute FamilySource Center at 1075 N Western Ave Ste. 110, Los Angeles, CA 90029
- Mileage and bus reimbursement
- Health Coverage*
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Living Allowance
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=78874&fromSearch=true and apply online