The Caregiver Counselor provides in-person short-term one-one-one counseling with unpaid family caregivers referred through the King County Family Caregiver Support program. Individual counseling provides emotional support, mental health intervention and improved coping skills for the caregiver. Services may include, but are not limited to, identifying the caregiver’s personal strengths and abilities, managing short- and long-term care decisions and planning, and developing strategies to better manage and cope with their caregiver role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide short-term counseling, consultation and education on an individual basis to unpaid family caregivers.
- Complete all client records, case notes, monthly reports, and assist clients in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide appropriate referrals regarding community resources.
- Provide effective public relations, advocacy, and information to other agencies, businesses, churches and community members and ensure that the program is respected and known to be an important source of services to the community.
- Lead occasional support groups, workshops, or classes for unpaid caregivers.
- Demonstrate an eagerness to learn and enhance skills that promote equity and inclusion.
- Participate in events related to understanding institutional racism and other forms of oppression.
- Other duties as necessary and/or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in social work, psychology, counseling, or related field is required. Related fields include: rehabilitation, gerontology and psychology.
- Must be a Washington state mental health licensed practitioner. Qualified professionals include: Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Licensed Mental Health Counselor Associate, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Social Work Associate Independent Clinical, or Licensed Social Work Associate Advanced.
- Two years experience in a human service field, preferably working as a social worker or counselor with caregivers, older adults, or disabled adults and their families.
Skills & Abilities:
- Experience documenting confidential client interactions using computer software.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
- Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s License and access to an insured vehicle in order to conduct outreach.
- Experience leading support groups or workshops preferred.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member.
- Ability to drive to appointments throughout King County.
Note: All employees are subject to periodic Washington State Patrol Criminal History Background Checks and must complete a Criminal History Self-Disclosure Form.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, other national service alumni, people of color, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Selection Process:This is a competitive selection process. All fully completed application packages that show the minimum qualifications and have followed the How to Apply instructions will be reviewed. Interviews will be scheduled for those applicants whose qualifications in the areas listed above most closely correspond to the position’s requirements. In order to preserve our resources toward furthering our mission, only candidates with whom we wish to arrange an interview will be contacted. All others will be maintained in our files for a minimum of six months.
At Sound Generations we embrace the belief that racial and other social identities should be respected and affirmed. In support of this belief, we are building an equitable and inclusive organization and providing our team of staff, volunteers and board members with the tools to address institutionalized racism and other forms of oppression. All members of our team are responsible for providing and supporting an equitable and inclusive work environment that will enrich our interactions with each other and our products and services. This responsibility provides the foundation for empowering our customers (primarily those who are aging and giving care to others) so their needs are justly represented and their desires amply fulfilled.
Sound Generations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required