Title: New Business Manager
Team: Human Rights, Education, and Empowerment (HREE)
Reports to: Senior Director, HREE
Location: Arlington, VA or remote
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Winrock International is recruiting a New Business Manager to lead new business development for the Human Rights, Education, and Empowerment (HREE) group at Winrock International, a recognized leader in U.S. and international development, providing solutions to some of the world’s most complex social, agricultural and environmental challenges. HREE is a passionate and progressive 20-person team currently implementing 15 projects in 19 countries, including 2 global projects. HREE’s technical footprint includes human rights, child labor, counter-trafficking in persons, education, and livelihoods with a strong emphasis on gender equity, social inclusion, and economic empowerment. HREE has strong, established partnerships with USAID, USDOL, and the Department of State, but is also focused on growing and diversifying our donor base among other national governments, the private sector, and with key foundations to seed strategic innovation in our programming.
This role sits on the HREE Management Team, and will own and facilitate the overall new business function for the team including new business strategy, pipeline development and management, team skills development, mentorship, and training, execution of lead proposal and writing roles, and support for innovative project design and effective cost/partnering strategies.
The ideal candidate is driven, energetic, and highly organized, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven track record of successful new business wins.
- Develop, manage, and sustain a robust new business pipeline for the Human Trafficking and Safe Migration and the Child Labor and Education teams.
- Evaluate, sustain, and expand a new business landscape analysis that positions Winrock strategically within our key technical areas.
- Manage all core new business functions, including: updating a monthly new business snapshot and online tracker; hosting a regular new business meeting; engaging with the centralized New Business Support Unit on best practices and new business processes, selecting and supporting proposal teams, and playing major and minor roles on proposals.
- Ensure talent development efforts are robust and ongoing to build the technical new business acumen of the team, including selecting and supporting effective proposal teams, mentoring staff in new roles, and providing regularized training and mentorship.
- Participate in HREE’s Expanded Management Team, collaborate closely with all HREE Directors, and support the Senior Director for HREE on all new business focused efforts.
- Supervise and support a new business intern.
Who You Are and Keys to Success:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, education, or other relevant field required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of international development/non-profit business development or comparable experience preferred.
To be successful in this job, you possess these five qualities:
- A very high bar for performance. You have demonstrated the ability to manage a robust workload, succeed in winning USG and non-USG new business opportunities, cultivate and mentor new business skills development within your team, and effectively manage and grow a multi-faceted new business pipeline.
- A deep understanding of and commitment to the ethos of our work. You have familiarity with the technical issues and geographies, a commitment to gender and racial equity and social inclusion, and a well-developed lens on effectively empowering local communities.
- An inclusive, collaborative, and resourceful approach. You have exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, experience building effective partnerships, and the ability to work with and get the best out of diverse personalities.
- A deep understanding of the end to end new business process. Experience leading, writing, and managing new business proposals. Comfort in leading new business strategy development and diversification, pipeline tracking, forecasting, and analysis, supporting capture and innovative technical design, and building effective cost strategies.
- Boundless energy for building a strong, multi-faceted new business function for HREE. This role interacts with the entire team, as well as contributes to overall strategic direction and growth. It’s a dynamic role on a growing team that has substantive interaction with staff, partners, competitors, and consultants to achieve results.
- Exceptional attention to detail and well-developed organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Foreign language capabilities preferred.
- International field experience preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed (Post COVID19 restrictions)
Winrock offers competitive pay and an excellent benefits package.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.