Conservation Voters of South Carolina is the political voice of South Carolina's environmental community. CVSC is a bipartisan, non-profit organization that, along with its sister organization the CVSC PAC, passes laws that protect our environment, elects pro-conservation candidates, and holds elected officials accountable. The CVSC Education Fund also works to educate and engage South Carolinians “to protect the South Carolina we love.” We effectively fight for our air, land, and water through bipartisan and pragmatic political action.
Scope of Position: CVSC seeks an additional highly motivated person with experience in energy policy, advocacy, and communications for a project management position focused on electric utility regulation efforts to join its clean energy team. The position will design and oversee campaigns focused on energy at the utility regulatory level (primarily focusing on electricity dockets at the South Carolina Public Service Commission (PSC)). The Project Manager would be CVSC’s primary staff following energy dockets at the PSC, developing and implementing PSC advocacy and accountability strategies, designing and coordinating ex-parte briefing efforts, and overseeing PSC commissioner candidate recruitment and training. The right candidate will be a self-starter with excellent written and oral communications skills, demonstrated experience initiating projects and advancing them successfully. The position reports to the Campaigns Director and coordinates with the Deputy Director, lobbyists, and program staff. The Project Manager is also expected to perform other duties as needed in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
Location: Based in South Carolina, with option for remote working from within the state. CVSC has a physical office in Columbia. Occasional day and overnight travel may be required.
• Design and launch strategic efforts to communicate complex regulatory matters to grassroots activists and decision-makers to advance CVSC’s clean energy goals.
• Identify, monitor, and track PSC dockets of strategic importance.
• Serves as the primary resource at CVSC for energy regulatory efforts related to the PSC, providing updates, message guidance, strategy, talking points, policy insights and briefings, and other necessary campaign materials to CVSC staff, partners, and advocates.
• Coordinate and share action opportunities related to the PSC’s regulation of electric utilities with the Energy Project Manager, CVSC program and legislative staff, policy experts, partner organizations, consultants, community leaders, businesses, and grassroots organizers.
• Develop and manage communications for energy regulatory campaigns, including messaging, media, and digital communications (emails, social media, website updates, ads); provides quotes, pitches stories, and builds relationships with the press.
• Drafts and pitches letters to the editor and opinion editorials on energy issues to advance public awareness on key issues in South Carolina’s electric utility regulation.
• Performs other duties as needed in accordance with the successful operation of a non-profit organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in energy, renewable energy, electric utility regulation, natural resource policy, sustainability, public policy, environmental communications, or other relevant field and three to five years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to communicate technical information to a variety of audiences; strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, an ability to follow up and meet deadlines, attention to detail and confidentiality, resourceful, and a fast and willing learner.
• Proficiency and substantial experience with standard office productivity software and equipment; ability to read, process, and synthesize printed materials on paper or standard computer screen.
• A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion – a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• Knowledge and understanding of electric utility resource regulation, planning, renewable energy, energy efficiency, distributed generation policy, and the types of policies used to advance clean energy at the regulatory level.
• Knowledge and understanding of the energy issues facing low and middle income households and environmental justice communities.
• Legal experience or experience understanding legal processes and proceedings, particularly related to regulatory dockets on utility matters.
• Experience working in advocacy campaigns or working within and building diverse coalitions to accomplish shared goals.
• A passion for conservation and environmental efforts to protect our air, land, and water.
• An ability to think critically, take leadership roles with a strategic mindset, consensus-build, prioritize, delegate, and manage coalitions with self-awareness and confidence.
• Deep justice analysis and understanding of structural and institutional inequity and interpersonal power dynamics and proven ability to analyze situations to engage and address them.
• Emotional intelligence, interpersonal skills, humor, humility, compassion, patience, self-awareness, adaptability, and persistence.
• Proven ability to work well within a team, and with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds.
Work Environment: CVSC is a mission-driven organization whose staff are deeply passionate about advancing environmental policy in a just and equitable way. We are seeking another effective, productive, enjoyable and highly ethical member of the team who will take responsibility and leadership for implementing assigned tasks.
Terms of Employment: The position is full-time, contingent on continued funding (grants and individual donations). This includes a 40- hour workweek with the need for flexible scheduling, depending on the nature of an issue or timeframe. Occasional out of town and overnight travel will be required.
CVSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Salary/Benefits: CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $45,000 – 50,000 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state holiday schedules.
Application Instructions: Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina. The position will remain open until filled.
Conservation Voters of South Carolina is the political voice of South Carolina's environmental community. CVSC is a bipartisan, non-profit organization that, along with its sister organization the CVSC PAC, passes laws that protect our…
CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $45,000 – 50,000 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that includes full health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, and generous vacation and state holiday schedules.
CVSC offers a competitive non-profit sector salary for this position in the $45,000 – 50,000 range, depending on qualifications. CVSC also offers a robust benefits package that…
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that addresses how your expertise matches the job description and why you want to work to protect the air, land, and water of South Carolina. The position will remain open until filled.