Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders (BxD) – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an energetic administrator to join our Criminal Defense Practice as an Arraignment Clerk.
BxD is a public defender non-profit that is radically transforming how low-income people in the Bronx are represented in the justice system, and, in doing so, is transforming the system itself. BxD seeks thoughtful, creative, energetic individuals with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic staff.
Our diverse staff of over 350 includes interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, benefits specialists, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom collaborate to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy. Through this integrated team-based structure, we have pioneered a groundbreaking, nationally-recognized model of representation called holistic defense that achieves better outcomes for our clients.
Each year, we defend 27,000 low-income Bronx residents in criminal, civil, child welfare, and immigration cases, and reach thousands more through our community intake, youth mentoring, and outreach programs. Through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community organizing, we push for systemic reform at the local, state, and national level. We take what we learn from the clients and communities that we serve, and launch innovative initiatives designed to bring about real and lasting change.
Role & Responsibilities
Arraignment Clerks serve at the front lines of our Criminal Defense Practice (CDP), handling the administrative intake process for persons waiting to see a judge for the first time after arrest. Arraignment Clerks report directly to the Arraignments Supervisor. They divide their time between the fast-paced environment of the courthouse, where they perform data entry and liaise with attorneys and court staff, and the office of BxD, where they focus primarily on data entry.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Conflict-checking; opening and closing cases in BxD’s case management system
- Efficiently entering case files into our case management system
- Preparing case packets; scanning and organizing case files
- Communicating effectively and professionally with BxD attorneys, as well as with court staff, including court clerks and officers, members of the District Attorney’s office, and police and corrections officers
- Providing general administrative support as needed, such as front desk reception assistance, clerical projects, and other miscellaneous office responsibilities
- Troubleshooting case processing issues for attorneys and court staff
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- An interest in, and the capacity for, working collaboratively in a team-based organizational structure
- The ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment while maintaining organization
- The ability to exercise discretion and maintain client confidentiality
- Experience working with and in low-income communities of color, like the one we serve in the South Bronx
- Flexibility and availability to work additional shifts with little or no notice
Applicants must possess either:
- an Associate’s degree from an accredited institution, preferably in Criminal Justice or an allied field, plus some administrative experience, or
- at least one (1) year of administrative, legal/clerical, or related professional experience in an office setting, plus a comparable combination of professional and/or educational experiences from which similar knowledge, skills, and abilities have been attained
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our Career Portal at the link provided, select the position of interest, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload both your resume and cover letter as a single document when prompted. Applications missing any components or not submitted in the requested manner will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, August 31st, 2018, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. Please contact Marterra Walker, Legal Administrative Manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply.