TEAM: Baltimore Region
REPORTS TO: Managing Director, Leadership Development
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
We are seeking a Director, Corps Member Alumni to design, manage, and facilitate learning experiences for members of the Teach For America Baltimore community across the continuum from accepted corps members through alumnihood. This Director is charged with providing intensive support to 1st year corps members, ensuring 2nd year corps members have access to rigorous learning experiences that lead to a strong transition into alumnihood, and creating spaces for alumni to network, learn from each other, and organize into dynamic coalitions.
The Director, Corps Member Alumni’s charge will be to lead a diverse set of learning experiences grounded in Teach For America’s Theory of Leadership, creating a vision in partnership with the participants, building community culture, facilitating experiences, coaching, assessing progress, and enlisting outside experts, where applicable. Because of the diversity of the learning experiences, this role requires an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to coach, facilitate, and lead in diverse scenarios while being responsive to a variety of participants’ needs. This Director, Corps Member Alumni will provide Real Time Coaching support as a differentiated coaching experience that supplements the leadership coaching of Managers of Leadership Development.
There are more than 16 million children growing up in poverty in the U.S., and less than 10 percent of them will graduate from college. These statistics are not a reflection of our children’s potential; we know that children growing up in poverty can and do achieve at the highest levels. Rather, these statistics reflect the systemic lack of access and opportunity for children in low-income communities.
Teach For America’s (TFA) mission is to find, develop, and support a diverse network of leaders committed to expanding opportunity for children from classrooms, schools, and every sector and field that shapes the broader systems in which schools operate. We are seeking individuals who align with our mission, core values and commitment to Diversity Equity & Inclusiveness and are ready to join us in this global movement.
- Create and lead learning communities / experiences for corps members and alumni aligned to Teach For America’s Theory of Leadership. (30%)
- Design and facilitate internal and external learning experiences that build our region’s understanding of how to best use various types of data to inform our work and build our thriving network.
- School Based Learning Community (25%)
- Establish partnership with at least 1 school interested in hosting a School Based Learning Community grounded in developing cultural competence and creating safe and welcoming learning environments for kids.
- Partner with school level stakeholders to set the vision for, facilitate, and lead school based learning community.
- Real Time Coaching / Intensive Coaching Support (25%)
- Provide intensive short-term coaching to corps members and alum who want to see drastic improvements in classroom culture.
- Leadership Development Team Responsibilities (10%)
- Prepare for and lead check ins with your manager around progress toward your goals and your ongoing development.
- Coordinate with members of the leadership development team to ensure clarity of vision and data process alignment across corps members and alumni experience milestones and outcomes.
- Partner with the Associate, Leadership Development Network Logistics.
- Partner with Teach For America’s national organization to leverage leadership development opportunities for alumni teachers facilitated by the national organization
- Regional Team responsibilities (10%)
- Fulfill foundational responsibilities that allow our region to do our work, make decisions, grow as professionals, and strengthen our team culture, including but not limited to attending regional meetings, operating with our Core Values and commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness, completing our performance management cycle, and upholding our data management, office operations and fiscal responsibilities
- Make a direct impact on the organizational mission of enlisting, developing and mobilizing leaders to strengthen the movement for educational equity by participating in corps member network facing events (including Leadership Summits and Summer Training), our alumni giving campaign, alumni survey, and at least one regional or national committee/working group, and other initiatives that impact our members and partners
THE MUST HAVES
- 5-7 years professional experience, including at least 3 years of successful classroom leadership
- Experience coaching adults and designing programming for adult leaders.
- Previous experience designing and/or facilitating resources relating to cultural competence, or diversity, equity, and inclusiveness preferred.
- Real Time Coaching certification highly preferred.
- Some weekend and evening work is required.
- Strong designer and facilitator
- Ability to set and evolve project vision and direction
- Exceptional ability to build and execute a project plan
- Exceptional strategic and critical thinking skills
- Ability to influence others and manage laterally to outcomes
- Operates with a high level of entrepreneurialism and optimism
- Bachelor’s degree
At TFA Baltimore, to disrupt and challenge the inequitable systems that prevent students from attaining an excellent education, we develop bold leaders and create dynamic coalitions within our network. Teach For America Baltimore’s Leadership Development Team is comprised of two sub-teams, Coaches and Designers. Designers on the Leadership Development team create learning experiences with the goal of developing bold leaders who question the status quo, they help foster dynamic coalitions around key issues affecting educational inequity in Baltimore, and they create opportunities for corps members and alumni to network with one another.
By joining staff, you join a network of individuals committed to pursuing equity for all students and developing themselves as professionals in the process. We as an organization value the longevity of our employees and offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits plan. The salary for this position is also competitive and depends on your prior work experience. Please be advised, you will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
*This job description reflects Teach For America's assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
Interested in this position? Apply now! Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the link to the online application. If you still have questions regarding the role, feel free to contact our recruitment team at email@example.com or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Minimum Education Required