767 Hicks Street
Background/Summary: For 15 years, Red Hook Initiative (RHI) has nurtured young people in Red Hook, Brooklyn, to be inspired, resilient and healthy, and to envision themselves as co-creators of their lives, community and society. A key component of our Young Adult (ages 18-24) Program is employment support services, from basic professional and interview skills to strategies for self-promotion, job placement and long-term job retention. The young adult employment coordinator has the opportunity to profoundly impact the livelihood and employment trajectory of over 100 young adults in a community where 75% of people aged 18-24 are unemployed.
The Employment Coordinator manages RHI’s Young Adult employment program, which includes overseeing a 10-week job readiness training and subsidized internship placements; providing 1:1 employment case management; and coordinating a series of work readiness workshops. The Employment Coordinator is responsible for maintaining and establishing partnerships with businesses and organizations to develop employment and educational opportunities for young adults, as well as managing and implementing strategies to support young adults to lead self-determined lives.
Reports to: Young Adult Program Manager
Supervises: Employment Assistant (part time), RHI Fellow (part time).
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Employment Coordinator include but are not limited to:
Create Avenues to Employment
● Provide one-on-one employment case management and job search support, helping participants to set employment goals, create action plans and track progress towards meeting their individual goals.
● Facilitate and coordinate internal job readiness training program – two weeks long, 8 times per year, and coordinate 8-week internship placements for participants.
● Coordinate and facilitate monthly workforce readiness workshops for young adults seeking to grow in self-efficacy and employability.
● Develop summer internships and job shadowing opportunities for RHI college students.
● Foster relationships with government agencies and community-based organizations to facilitate young adult employment.
● Establish and maintain external collaborations with individuals and businesses to develop employment opportunities for young adults.
● Develop and maintain database/inventory of employment, training, and internship opportunities.
Collaborate and Innovate
● Supervise Employment Team and manage the team’s work plan toward annual goals.
● Work closely with the Digital Stewards Job Training Program to support participants’ progress meeting employment goals.
● Collaborate with RHI’s Young Adult Team (Social Worker, Case manager, College Retention Specialist) to make necessary referrals, plan events, and contribute to the implementation of the YA program strategy.
● Collaborate with RHI’s High School Team to support youth who are pursuing vocational opportunities after high school.
● Offer training on employment-related skills and knowledge to RHI staff, as needed.
● Work closely with the Director of Training and Evaluation on the development and implementation of the RHI Fellows program to build local talent pipeline and strengthen RHI's commitment to hiring from within the community.
● Maintain accurate records including weekly logs, documentation of services, and sign-in sheets for participation
● Develop systems to create and manage partnerships with RHI’s local employment network
● Supervise an Employment Assistant to support one-to-one employability case management and maintain database and inventory of young adults tracking.
● Ensure the employment pieces of RHI’s Salesforce database are up to date
● Create regular reports on progress toward RHI’s employment-related goals for Young Adults
● Attend and contribute to all-staff meetings, Young Adult team huddles, and case conferencing meetings.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
● Passionate about community-based youth development
● Proven ability to engage in strategic program development and long-term planning
● At least two years of experience working in job development, job placement, and job training
● At least one year of case management experience
● Familiarity with local job placement agencies, job developers and opportunities within the world of work
● Experience facilitating group work and discussions among young adults
● Experience developing job readiness curricula
● Ability to embrace a strength-based approach to youth and community development within an urban context
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
● Ability to keep accurate records and statistics
● Willingness to collaborate on projects and work with a team
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Member of the Red Hook community preferred
● Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Health/dental insurance, FSA, retirement account, generous PTO and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required