300 Fort Hamilton Manor
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is seeking an engaging High School Mandarin Teacher to join our Windsor Terrace High School World Language team!
This position is ideal for someone with a high proficiency of the language, a solid understanding of the various Mandarin-speaking cultures, familiarity with world language pedagogy, and an appreciation for a diverse community of students.
We are looking for individuals who can make curriculum enjoyable and relevant to our tech-savvy students.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a K-12 college preparatory, International Baccalaureate (IB) community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Respect: Value others by taking a local and global perspective and appreciating differences
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
As part of the Brooklyn Prospect Team, you will enjoy a part-time position in a supportive and collaborative environment.
We are a growing organization and opportunities for development and success are readily available.
Check out our most recent updates: BPCS News
About the Role:
As a Mandarin Teacher in our BPCS High School, you will teach 2 sections of Mandarin courses and lead 1 advisory.
As a Mandarin Teacher, you will be responsible for :
- Planning and implementing lesson plans for Mandarin II and III high school courses, including developing class resources, administering assessments, grading and offering twice-weekly office hours for 1:1 and small group support
- Working closely with other World Language teachers to establish and maintain academic standards as defined by New York State and the IB Organization
- Participate in ongoing professional development focused in increasing student achievement and college readiness with the World Language department and other high school faculty members
- Collaborating with World Language department head to agree upon instructional priorities, review regular feedback and set weekly goals
- Lead a grade level advisory of up to 15 students 2-3 times a week; monitor their academic progress and implement advisory lessons
- Contribute to shared school culture vision by supporting common area supervision on a weekly basis
**The critical features of this job are described above but not all encompassing.
For more information about the IB program please visit our website.
About the Benefits:
- Salary is competitive with NYC Department of Education (DOE)
- Full medical, dental, vision benefits, plus 401(k) with employer match
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
- A minimum of bachelor’s (BA/BS) in a related field
- Current and valid New York State Teaching License
- Experience teaching high school World Languages (Mandarin)
- Experience with the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) and/or Diploma Program (DP) is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates must via our website and include a resume and cover letter, including how you learned about the position, and the position for which you are applying.
Applications will be reviewed as received. Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we will only notify those who meet our selection criteria.
Brooklyn Prospect is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.