Amber Charter School, the first Latino-led public charter school prepares K through 5 students for academic success in middle school. Founded in 2000, our first elementary school in East Harlem serves over 460 students. Amber's mission is to provide our students an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, that will enable them to succeed in top middle schools and beyond. Amber Charter School II, located in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, opened its doors in September 2017. Join a team devoted to positively impacting the lives of children and families every day. Come help build lifelong learners.
Bachelor’s degree required. Accounting majors preferred
Three or more years of experience in non-profit finance/accounting required. Experience in a school setting, or a related field preferred.
The Finance Associate works with our HR/Finance Officer and other staff to support non-academic operations at the organization, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and requirements set by funders and partners. He/she is specifically responsible for supporting the administrative systems and routines of the organization. The Finance Associate is responsible for the accounts payable process, cash receipt process, and the management of financial documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for data entry of all invoices in the accounts payable system ensuring accurate coding of the invoices to the proper account.
• Responsible for processing all school accounts payable activity in a timely and accurate manner, including prepaid invoices and credit card charges.
• Ensure invoices have proper approval before entering invoice into the accounts payable system.
• Responsible for processing, at minimum, a bi-weekly check run, matching invoices to checks, preparing checks for signatures, and mailing the checks once signed.
• Responsible for filing paid invoices immediately after each check run.
• Maintain Finance archive files and records in accordance with School and regulatory requirements and practices.
• Research vendor inquiries regarding payments.
• Ensure compliance (W-9s received) with federal and state regulations, governing payment to vendors including companies or consultants.
• Responsible for processing and administration of 1099s.
• Responsible for accurately receiving, verifying, coding, data entry, and deposits of miscellaneous cash receipts.
• Responsible for the administration of the school’s petty cash fund.
• Processing bank deposits.
General Ledger and Accounting
• Enter invoice adjustments as needed.
• Assist with the preparation of various reports as required for the annual audit.
• Organize and keep track of prepaid expenses throughout the year
• Monitor and properly document the following: fixed assets accounting transactions; prepaid expense and accrued expense transactions; property and equipment records.
Organizational audit, grant-specific audits, and other grant-reporting requirements
• Properly tag all grant related expenditures.
• Assist with annual audit process.
• Collect and provide information requested by audit team.
• Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Reports to Humans Resource/Finance Officer
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English.
Minimum Education Required