District of Columbia
Media Matters for America — a progressive, Washington-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media - seeks a Senior Software Developer to be accountable for and take ownership in providing application design guidance on a portfolio of projects. This role will be both strategic design and hands on in the development and implementation of the platforms and applications.
- Reports To: The Senior Software Developer reports to the Technology Director.
Develop New Features
- Design and plan for the implementation of new features as requested by project stakeholders
- Write and test the implementation in development environment for review
- Move implementation into production environment after approval
Troubleshoot, Resolve and Document
- Respond to bug fixes from end-users
- Analyze existing code base and propose detailed resolution for bugs
- Test proposed resolution in development environment
- Push fixed code to production environment upon approval
- Document the existing code and the ticketing system with resolution
Locate and Evaluate Technology
- Locate and evaluate open-source technology for use in MMFA applications
- Review new or proposed applications and source code to ensure compatibility with existing or proposed backend systems and infrastructure
Build Proof of Concepts
- Create rapid prototypes of the proposed applications and platforms for immediate usage and feedback from stakeholders
- Prepare and convert prototypes for scaling up into company-wide deployment
Operate in Software Development Program
- Implementing proposed design and ensure on-time development deliverables
- Ensure that delivered product meets defined standards and best practices
- Perform code review audits and present metrics to management
- Ability to carry assignments forward independently and while seeking clarification from project stakeholders
- Ability to explain and present application to non-technical users
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science desired, may substitute years of experience for formal education
- 5+ years of web application experience in software development with increasing responsibilities
- Experience working within large amounts of data and content
- Strong project management, proven in application development environments
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.