32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an aggressive, nimble and creative Communications Specialist to help drive a comprehensive and strategic communications program in key markets in the union’s eleven-state region. The communications program includes media relations, social media and member communications for contract fights, organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Communications Specialist will be a key member of the union’s communications team, responsible for communications in NEW JERSEY.
Candidates should be creative thinkers, capable and skilled multi-taskers, who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to help advance campaigns. The Communications Specialist reports to the Regional Communications Manager.
· Work with Regional Communications Manager to drive and execute communications plans, including media relations, new media and member communications, throughout the region;
· Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists; pitch story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage in the region;
· Build relationships with labor, immigration, political and other key media in the region;
· Write news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents and other press materials for campaigns;
· Draft member communications, including newsletters, emails, texting and other materials for campaigns in the region;
· Conduct member interviews and spokesperson development for member communications materials and for public speaking;
· Strategize and implement new media components into campaigns, including concepts for microsites, Twitter, Facebook and email outreach;
· Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
· Three to five years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
· Experience in strategic communications planning in large, multi-faceted organizations;
· Outstanding writer, able to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
· Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
· Experience in working with and creating communications for union or organizational members on advocacy campaigns;
· Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and immigrant communities;
· Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
· Very strong preference for a candidate comfortable speaking and writing in Spanish;
· Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning
· Ability to travel regularly for planning meetings, events and member meetings.
A full benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please E-mail resume and three press-related writing samples, including your best press release, placement and op-ed to HR@seiu32bj.org with Subject " Communications Specialist"