Details: Salary is commensurate with education and experiences
800 Gates Avenue, 3rd Floor
Who We Are Seeking to Join Us
We seek mission driven full-time professionals with high expectations for children and the willingness to engage in deep reflection and growth. Our staff members are persistent, dedicated professionals, who are team players and have a sense of humor. Teachers at La Cima are passionate about the development, learning and success of all children, and relentless about attaining the best outcomes. We seek educators of high personal integrity and character who are committed to social justice, as we believe that we teach who we are. The SETSS Teacher will be an integral part of La Cima Elementary Charter School's social emotional support team.
Special Education Teacher Qualifications
- Masters Degree in Applied Behavior Analysis, special education or related field, Students with Disabilities certification required.
- 3+ years of work experience utilizing procedures Applied Behavior Analysis preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Passionate about social justice and educational equality.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of situations.
- Strong understanding of the science of behavior.
- Ability to collaborate with Scholar Support Team and classroom teachers in providing supports to scholars, including differentiation, accommodations, and access to the curriculum.
- Strong understanding of various interventions applied in urban school settings including but not limited to: The Good Behavior Game, behavior and language assessments, crisis management, social emotional coping strategies and an education background that provides a solid platform for working with instructional staff on developing strategies to maximize effectiveness.
Special Education Teacher Essential Functions:
- Assess baseline academic levels, learning abilities, needs, and styles of students of significantly different capabilities.
- Exercise creativity and mental flexibility in presenting instructional material to accommodate students of widely varying learning styles and intellectual levels.
- Interpret students' underlying needs and motivations; consistently follow through with prior established consequences.
- Ability to conduct Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA), ABC data collection, preference assessments preferred.
- Obtain and gather baseline data for target behavior.
- Individualize and create programs for students that require an individualized behavior plan
- The special education teacher must be able to remain calm and listen non-critically, reasoning objectively, and remaining consistent.
- Values the importance of obtaining behavior data and using the science of applied behavior analysis to implement programs for students.
- The ability to multi-task: managing behavior simultaneously with teaching academic skills and data collection.
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings, parent meetings and training sessions.
- Attend family meetings and provide resources on various special education topics.
- Collaborate with teachers regarding the implementation of SETSS effectively.
- Work collaboratively with the Scholar Support Team to implement individualized programming during small group instruction.
- Possess emotional openness to constructive feedback from peers, consulting teacher/mentors, and administrators regarding compliance with professional standards.
- Work collaboratively with Scholar Support Team in ensuring that plans are implemented effectively and making changes when necessary.
- Collaborate with teachers to support them develop specialized skills related to their role as a special education teacher, including assessing students, writing high-quality IEPs, revising IEPs, observing instruction and implementation of behavior plans.
- Develop and implement a referral process and set time period to work with scholars, family, teachers.
- Excellent data management, organizational and communication skills.
- Develop and implement system to track scholar progress.
- Work collaboratively with Scholar Support and school-wide team to develop a culture of learning, both inside and outside of the classroom; recognize the importance of living and teaching our core principles every day.
- Consistently model a learning orientation for children and colleagues
- Perform other duties to support the ongoing development of La Cima, as deemed appropriate by school leadership.
Paid Time Off, Family and Medical Leave, Parental Leave, Medical Insurance, Pension (403B Summary Plan) and more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Interested candidates should email a thoughtful cover letter and current resume to: email@example.com.
Although email is the preferred method, hard copies may be faxed to (718) 443-7291 or to:
La Cima Elementary Charter School - Attn.: Capri Tenis, Special Education Coordinator
800 Gates Avenue, 3rd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11221