This is an on-call position that provides support for laboratory operations that support public exhibits and programs in the Living Systems area of the Exploratorium. This person will have a role in maintaining all plant and animal life, as well as daily set-up of exhibits. An interest in natural phenomena and an ability to collaborate in a team environment are crucial aspects of the position. The ideal applicant has both weekday and weekend availability and can work on relatively short notice.
- Daily set-up of Life Sciences exhibits
- Daily preparation of solutions and cultures required to support exhibit set-up
- Daily live microscope demonstrations for the public
- Routine maintenance of exhibits and lab equipment
- Routine care of marine invertebrates, plants, freshwater fish, terrariums, and insect colonies
- Contribute to troubleshooting and repair of problem LS exhibits
- Maintain order and cleanliness of laboratory and equipment
- Additional duties, as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences or significant credits towards a degree
- Demonstrated interest in biology
- Demonstrated experience or interest in working with live organisms
- Basic laboratory skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to lift and carry 25lbs for short distances
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese desirable
- Flexible Schedule
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is an on-call, non-exempt position that does not include benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job.
The Exploratorium is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, religious expression, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran’s status or any other class protected by applicable law.
The Exploratorium will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Minimum Education Required