2001 S Street, NW
Active Minds is seeking a talented Director of Development to set, guide and implement a comprehensive development strategy that attracts, educates, motivates and inspires donors. We are looking for a professional with 7 plus years of experience and an entrepreneurial spirit who is capable of growing our fundraising initiatives with energy and skill. The right candidate will inspire growth in a young, but ambitious, non-profit and will want to grow with our organization. The candidate must be a capable manager and ready to lead a department of two additional Development staff.
The position requires strong organizational and people skills, the ability to work on various projects simultaneously, and a strong eye for detail. The successful candidate will be able to develop and manage budgets while growing revenues and managing expenses. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and benefits from a supportive and fundraising savvy Executive Director and Board, and will collaborate with both, as well as the communications and program staff.
· Maintaining oversight over all fundraising activities including major giving, grants, fundraising events, direct mail appeals, online fundraising, and corporate partnership initiatives.
· Build and execute a development strategy, including timelines, measurable objectives, and benchmarks. Prepare and present regular progress reports.
· Oversee the Development department staff to ensure sound donor data management and gift processing procedures are implemented.
· Oversee all event fundraising, including annual Casino Nights, community fundraisers and special Board led initiatives.
· Launch a Leadership Circle major donor program with aggressive fundraising targets demonstrating consistent year over year growth.
· Develop sponsorship proposals that demonstrate the value of partnership and that lead to product donation and/or monetary support for various program related initiatives.
· Conceptualize, launch and grow innovative peer-to-peer giving program to capture the energy and potential of our vibrant network of over 450 student chapters.
· Manage, track and analyze ongoing relationships with prospects and donors through Charity Engine Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) system.
· In collaboration with the Communications & Marketing Department and the Programs Department, oversee the preparation of proposals, letters, background information and materials for cultivation and solicitation activities.
· Conceptualize, write, and disseminate individual and online giving strategies.
· In coordination with the Executive Director, actively and routinely perform stewardship activities such as thank-you calls, site visits, identifying prospects, and following up with individuals who are interested in learning more about Active Minds.
· Excellent judgement, analytical and decision-making skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, ambiguity, and changing priorities.
· Experience in the full spectrum of development work, particularly solicitations, stewardship and donor recognition.
· Demonstrated experience soliciting one on one gifts preferably of five figures or above.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain positive relationships with Board members, donors and prospects.
· Ability to conceive, plan and execute a major gifts program, including annual giving campaign, and direct and personal solicitation.
· Proven track record in developing creative and successful, individual online and offline giving strategies in the non-profit environment.
· Ability to develop, launch and grow peer-to-peer giving programs.
· Experience conceptualizing, executing and growing fundraising campaigns (including Annual Funds and Year End Challenges).
· The ability to understand and communicate cause-based programming to prospects and donors.
· Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
· Strong research and networking skills.
· A friendly, outgoing and collaborative approach along with a team-oriented style, including the ability to collaborate across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
· Respect for confidentiality of donor information and a deep understanding of donor ethics.
· High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel. Previous experience using CRM system required.
· Attention to detail.
· Strong work ethic and professional manner and appearance.
· A belief in the mission, principles and core values of Active Minds.
· Must be able to attend weekend and evening activities, as necessary.
This position is located in the vibrant Dupont Circle neighborhood in Washington, DC.
Active Minds offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, medical insurance, sick leave and a 401K plan with matching employer contributions. We also offer the ability to work remotely one day a week with flexible start and end times as well as the opportunity to work a compressed summer schedule.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, including salary requirements, resume and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.