Details: $20-35/hr DOE
2781 Telegraph Avenue
United Roots was born from the convergence of four youth organizations in Oakland, and was founded as a collective of Oakland-based arts activists and youth leaders from the Turf Unity movement. United Roots has a 4,000 square foot storefront building in Central Oakland (KONO Business District) and was the first “green” youth center in Oakland, with amenities like solar panels and a bamboo floor. United Roots believes in a holistic approach to engaging low-income youth of color in Oakland and our program methodology includes connecting young people to culturally relevant healing practices, and therapeutic activities like collaborative art making. United Roots is part of a network of youth organizations utilizing cultural healing methodologies to build alliances between young people living in some of the toughest neighborhoods in California. United Roots also provides cutting edge training in media production, pairing young people with industry professionals to create socially-impactful media. United Roots provides free access to media equipment, music studios and a performing arts space to young people in Oakland, and we are a youth-led media hub for The California Endowment. The Gameheads program offers tech training, such as coding, app and video game development, as well as IT Training, to youth of color in Oakland; utilizing technological innovation to address social issues in Oakland.
United Roots engages and empowers low-income youth of color ages 13-30 in socially innovative ways, with a focus on:
- Personal Development: creating a safe, sustainable environment to heal and grow through ritual, cultural healing practices, and wellness services.
- Creative Arts Education: instilling confidence and developing talent through digital and performing arts.
- Career and Workforce Mentorship: cultivating innovation and entrepreneurship through fellowships, mentorship, employment pipelines and business incubation.
- Civic Engagement: building coalitions between communities of color, decision makers, and employers to advocate for community change.
To watch a short video about United Roots youth programs go to: https://vimeo.com/216113507
We’re in a growth phase to streamline our operations and make our services more efficient. We seek an analytical, process driven and operations-savvy professional to join a dynamic leadership team: the four Co-Directors of United Roots and Program Staff of the Youth Impact Hub Oakland initiative. Our office culture encourages self-care practices, offering meditation and yoga classes to youth and staff. Our facility houses cutting edge media and tech equipment, and we give youth access to these tools. We utilize a collective decision making model, and staff work together to create and develop organizational systems and procedures. The Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper will work from our office at 28th St. & Telegraph Ave. in Oakland and interface with staff and youth (during our business hours on Monday through Friday from 12:00pm-8:00pm).
Duties & Responsibilities
As a small organization, United Roots provides an intimate and collaborative working environment. While the Administrative Assistant will be the point-person for managing the below responsibilities, some of these things only occur on a monthly or quarterly basis, and often times the Operations Committee works together to execute projects.
- Provide accounting support to Operations Director: bookkeeping, pay invoices, reimbursements, reconcile petty cash and disbursements, draft and distribute checks, etc.
- Run background checks for volunteers
- Manage the operation of the front office, including: attendance tracking, distribute mail, answering phones, files and archives, etc.
- Data entry and day-to-day management of Salesforce database by ensuring membership records are accurate and entered in a timely manner
- Opening and closing building, set up if center for daily programming activities
- Light cleaning and organizing of center, coordinate with contractors for weekly cleaning
- Assist in ordering office & program supplies
- Work with Operations Director to coordinate building maintenance and repairs
- Oversee and assist programs using the space and distribute stipends
- Manage, schedule, set up media labs, check in/out equipment to youth
- Assisting members with computer access, printing, and scanning
- Conduct building orientations for new members
- Prior experience doing administrative work
- Familiarity with working with youth in a community setting
- An understanding of the Oakland community and social justice advocacy
- Ability to manage cash transactions and reconciliation of accounting tracking
- Attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to data quality and accuracy
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations
- Written and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer skills and eagerness to learn new things
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Google Apps and QuickBooks Online a plus
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, adaptable - ability to work on a team
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment and can learn new skills to meet the organization’s needs
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- All prospective staff must pass a background check
Works With: Operations Director is the supervisor, also works with Co-Directors and Program Staff of United Roots
Hours/Week: 8-20 hours, preferred day to work on Friday.
Education: Associates degree or equivalent preferred
Years of Experience: 1-3 years in accounting/bookkeeping experience.
United Roots is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin. Women and People of Color applicants encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following to: email@example.com
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and United Roots’ focus and mission.
- Current resume and references.
- Please include your desired hourly wage.