Details: commensurate with experience
150 West 85th Street
Manhattan Country School (MCS) seeks a School Nurse beginning the 2018–2019 school year. The school nurse will be part of a dynamic team of progressive educators who work to build and sustain a healthy school and classroom environment. The School Nurse will provide direct care to all students, monitor school health forms, and ensure that the school is in compliance with city and state health mandates. The School Nurse will periodically review and update health policies and procedures, at the school and at the school’s off-site farm, to best meet the changing needs of our community. The nurse will also be actively involved in health education initiatives.
Manhattan Country School is a pre K-8 co-educational elementary school in NYC recognized for its progressive approach to teaching, racial and economic diversity, and a working farm in the Catskills. Committed to principles of equity and multiculturalism, Manhattan Country School is unique among NYC independent schools. Over the next few years, enrollment will grow from 268 to 400 students, still in pre-K through 8th grades.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Promoting a healthy school environment and educating the school community. This involves collaboration with members of the administration and support team. It also involves getting to know diverse families and healthcare traditions.
· Developing relationships with local healthcare providers (physicians, clinics, hospitals) and relevant health research institutions.
· Providing first aid and CPR training for faculty and staff.
· Evaluating ill and injured students, referring as needed
· Directing all emergency care in the school community
· Overseeing lice checks
· Dispensing medication as appropriate
· Communicating care plans to staff, administration, families and students
· Communicating with the farm staff regarding medical care at the farm and ensuring that medications and forms are in order for farm trips
· Collecting and ensuring the school is in compliance with immunization forms, health records and other necessary information. School’s main contact with state and city departments of health.
· Working with online health forms collection company, Magnus Health.
· Monitoring student health issues in the school and on local, regional, and national levels.
· Acting as a resource to the school community on health-related issues, including occasional interaction with students or writing for school publications.
· Supervising Department of Health reviews.
· Protecting professional practice and school liability based on knowledge of best practices and Department of Health mandates.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of nursing
New York State RN license in good standing
CPR trainer certification
Familiarity with Magnus School forms a plus
Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
Experience working in diverse communities
Appreciation for urban and rural New York State communities
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Meets all mandated health requirements
Experience working with the pediatric and adolescent populations
Compliance with drug-free workplace rules and board policies
Fluency in Spanish a plus
Level of Language Proficiency
English-speaking with proficiency in Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: please send cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to