1216 Arch Street
Nationalities Service Center (NSC) is a non-profit organization that provides social, educational, and legal services to immigrants and refugees in the greater Philadelphia area. Our strength lies in the diversity of our clients and services. Since NSC’s founding in 1921, our mission has been to help immigrants and refugees participate fully in American society. Each year, we help approximately 5,000 individuals from over 100 countries.
The Therapist’s main objective is to provide therapy services for adult clients in our Anti-Human Trafficking, survivor or torture (Philadelphia Partnership for Resilience) and survivor of domestic violence and crimes (Bridge to Wellness) programs. The Therapist will provide client-centered, trauma-informed and culturally responsive individual therapy sessions and support groups both on-site and potentially at satellite locations and in-home. Working hours will include weekend hours 1x/month and a minimum of one weekly evening session in addition to weekday hours. All applicants must be fluent in Spanish, French or Arabic and have a strong knowledge of trauma-informed practice. Part-time hourly rate is $40/hour. The Therapist will work under the supervision of the Wellness and Intake Coordinator and the Director of Programs and Quality Assurance and in close collaboration with the Anti-Human Trafficking, Philadelphia Partnership for Resilience, and Bridge to Wellness teams.
Experience and Education
- Current LCSW or equivalent
- Two years (may include internships) of direct clinical experience including groups
- Minimum 1 year previous experience working with immigrants
- Experience developing programs and projects in atypical settings
- Experience working with victims and survivors of violence preferred
- Strong of knowledge of providing trauma-sensitive therapeutic services
- A Pennsylvania license for counseling is strongly preferred
- The ability to communicate efficiently and professionally in written and oral formats.
- Fluency in Spanish, French or Arabic required.
- Provides direct counseling to victims/survivors including individual and group sessions.
- Maintains all necessary records, reports, progress notes, assessment summaries and outcome measurement surveys.
- Safeguards confidential information gained as a result of the job.
- Effectively communicate progress and any major issues to Wellness and Intake Coordinator and Department Director
- Identify potential crises and devise contingency plans
- Work with Wellness and Intake Coordinator to schedule interpreters when needed and reserve space for sessions
- Assist with the implementation of department goals and objectives
- Actively participate in case meetings and other department, agency, community and provider meetings, as needed
- Advocate on behalf of the clients and those similarly situated within NSC and throughout the broader community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community
- Strong understanding of refugee/individual/collective trauma and impact on client wellbeing
- Ability to build rapport and therapeutic relationship with clients and families
- Demonstrates multicultural awareness and experience working with immigrant population
- Commitment to promote social justice and develop critical consciousness
- Excellent organizational and written, verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Exceptional problem-solving skills. Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Must be pro-active in assessing needs, risks, and opportunities
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.
- Strong computer skills. Familiar with the usage of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Strong understanding of NSC’s mission, vision, values, and programs
- Knowledge of legal and political issues, and community resources and benefits that impact and/or benefit the targeted client needs
- Bilingual skills are required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will occasionally climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; taste or smell.
2. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
3. Operate related office equipment and use necessary tools.
4. Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
· Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients or vendors.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Nothing in this position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish, French or Arabic required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, please send your cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications deadline is November 19, 2018. NSC does not discriminate in employment because of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, and sexual orientation or for any reason not relevant to the qualifications of the position.