287 Columbus Avenue
City Year Boston is seeking an Evaluation Director to manage the collection, tracking and reporting of all relevant data used to measure City Year’s impact, including both qualitative and quantitative data. This position is responsible for developing and training staff members on effective practices and tools for collecting, analyzing and interpreting data to drive student achievement and improve service outcomes. The Evaluation Director is responsible for ensuring all internal evaluation data deadlines are met and supporting the development of a culture that uses data to inform decision making. This position will report to the Senior Impact Director of Support and Design, and manage a team of 2-3.
City Year Boston Evaluation Cycle
- Oversee the yearlong use, plans, and vision for data both internally and externally at City Year Boston.
- Lead and implement City Year Boston’s evaluation cycle to ensure alignment with the organization’s national data submission deadlines at the start, middle and end of year; train and coach others on the evaluation cycle.
- Manage process and systems for data collection, tracking and reporting initiatives:
- Student-level data collection from approximately 30 schools
- Internal tracking of student enrollment and progress in targeted support areas, including attendance, behavior, and English language arts and mathematics course grades
- Teacher and school service partner surveys
- Train and provide ongoing support to City Year Boston staff and corps members on processes and systems used for student-level data collection, tracking, and reporting.
- Support Evaluation Manager with survey distribution and report creation.
- Oversee data-management platforms to manage and maintain data reports with necessary levels of data security.
- Act as main data liaison to Boston Public Schools.
- Act as main data liaison to City Year Boston Board, including preparing the Service Impact Dashboard and board presentation materials.
- Approve all aggregate data shared with External Affairs and Development for reporting, events and external needs.
- Support on all data external engagements, including working with Development and External Affairs to discuss our data work with donors and external stakeholders.
- Manage AmeriCorps monitoring and reporting, including adjusting goals as needed, monitoring progress towards AmeriCorps outcomes across CYB’s three grants and providing data for both mid-year and end-of-year AmeriCorps reports.
Data and Evaluation Cycle Trainings
- Lead trainings on using Excel; understanding literacy and math assessments; reading and interpreting data on student course grades and attendance; facilitating conversations with others on the use of data; leading data review meetings; using Salesforce; and maintaining data security.
- Develop a system for providing support and responding to Impact Managers and Team Leaders’ challenges regarding data collection, submission, tracking and reporting.
- Design and implement a learning curriculum with Evaluation staff to deliver to Impact Directors, Impact Managers, and Team Leaders at group meetings with the goal of building data competency.
Evaluation Manager Management
- Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with Evaluation Manager to monitor use of evaluation systems, bi-weekly goals-to-actuals reporting, survey updates, report development, and data request fulfillment.
- Lead, train, manage and coach Evaluation Manager throughout performance management cycle.
- Oversee start-of-year performance and development goal-setting.
- Conduct middle and end-of-year performance reviews.
- Provide ongoing support and feedback to ensure Evaluation Manager meets or exceeds performance goals and receives coaching on personal and professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- At least 5 or more years of national service or professional experience preferred.
- Experience with a role leading or managing others preferred; experience working in a school environment preferred.
- Advanced use of Microsoft Excel and experience using online databases required; Salesforce experience preferred.
- Excellent oral communication skills, customer service skills and training/presentation experience required.
- Proven success leading others through systems and processes.
- Experience working with student achievement data (attendance, behavior metrics, course grades and assessment data) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to manage up, down and across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, ability to support multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Takes initiative and operates in a proactive and solution-oriented manner; seeks to move beyond problem-solving toward problem prevention.
- Possesses openness, responsiveness, approachability and understanding of others’ perspectives with the demonstrated ability to maintain and build relationships through collaboration; recognizes and responds to the needs of others while maintaining expectations; operates within appropriate boundaries to gain respect and maintain professionalism.
- Possesses a passion for and understanding of City Year’s work within the national service movement and education sphere.
- Understands data collection, reporting, and analysis within a social justice framework.
- Strong connection to the values of servant leadership, belief in the power of young people, social justice, empathy, inclusivity, and teamwork.
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the online application and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter in the "Resume/CV" field on the "My Experience" page. Internal applicants should apply through cyresource.