The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for developing and implementing programs and strategies to effectively cultivate, solicit and steward major donors at the $5,000 and above level. The growth of the Major Gifts program is of key strategic importance, including potential capital campaigns. The Major Gifts Officer will manage a portfolio of 150 high capacity donors and prospects and will work closely with the VP of Development and CEO to raise $500k in the current fiscal year with exponential growth in additional years as the agency continues to expand operations state-wide and nationally. In addition, the Major Gifts Officer will incorporate planned giving opportunities in contacts with donors.
The incumbent will work from the Los Angeles office and reports to Vice President of Development.
· Work closely with Step Up's leadership to develop strategies and tactics to successfully expand the major gifts program. A major focus will be to build the program at the
$10,000 and $25,000 level, with multi-year commitments as priority.
· Personally manage a portfolio of approximately 150 current major donors and prospects. Develop written cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans, utilizing a moves management approach to engage prospects and donors in Step Up's diverse range of programs and capital projects.
· Assist in managing and raising funds for capital campaigns.
· Ensure all moves and contacts are recorded and updated daily in the Salesforce CRM.
· Secure sponsorships formal and informal events.
· Prepare written proposals for individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
· Promote planned giving with major individual donors and others who respond to planned giving marketing efforts.
· Participate in planning, staffing, and donor recruitment for up to ten cultivation and stewardship events per year.
· Partner with board members and senior staff in making solicitations.
· Represent Step Up in high-level meetings with foundations, corporations, and philanthropic leaders.
· Write solicitation and donor communications for Step Up's print and online publications.
· Five years successful experience in major gifts fund raising with a proven track record of raising major gifts in the $5,000 to $100,000 range. Capital campaign experience a plus.
· Superior ability to develop and sustain positive relationships with donors.
· Strong organizational skills, ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to work calmly under the pressure of deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), donor databases (Salesforce) and social media.
· Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills.
· High energy, personal initiative, and a sense of humor.
· Ability to work well independently and within a team-oriented environment.
· Events management experience.
· Knowledge of the Los Angeles area philanthropic communities.
· Knowledge of development principles, fund raising techniques and ethics, including moves management donor strategies.
· Ability to travel as needed, including nights and weekends. Must possess a valid California driver's license.
· Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree and/or other credential preferred.
· Alignment with Step Up's mission, vision and core values of Hope, Wellness, Voice & Choice,
· Respect and Collaborative Relationships.
The successful candidate will be able to work in a rapidly changing and growing environment as part of a team of professionals dedicated to exceeding annual revenue goals, be a thoughtful and strategic thinker, and possess the ability to excel under pressure.
Eligible for: Health, Vision, Dental, FSA, 403B with match, competitive salary. Work/life balance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required