KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
SENIOR DIRECT REPRESENTATION ATTORNEY
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a Senior Direct Representation Attorney in KIND’s Baltimore, MD field office to provide representation to unaccompanied immigrant children living in Maryland, as well as to recruit, train, and advise volunteer firm and corporate attorneys to ensure effective pro bono representation of child clients before immigration and state courts, and immigration agencies. The Senior Direct Representation Attorney will supervise attorneys and/or support staff within KIND’s Baltimore, MD field office.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
At least three to four years of experience practicing immigration law. Admitted, or pending admission, to practice law in Maryland. Applicants who have taken the July 2018 bar exam may be considered depending on experience.
- At least three to four years of experience practicing immigration law, which should include representation of clients in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas;
- Family law experience a plus;
- Proficiency in Spanish;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Supervisory experience, preferably in legal setting;
- Mentoring and training experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent professional judgment;
- Ability to hit the ground working, take initiative, multi-task, and work independently; and
- Ability to work collaboratively.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney – Baltimore, MD field office.
Lead Baltimore direct representation team and oversee Direct Representation Attorneys (3 direct reports).
Responsibilities of the Senior Direct Representation Attorney will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise attorneys and/or support staff in KIND’s Baltimore office, in consultation with the Managing Attorney;
- Represent children in immigration removal proceedings, including children eligible for asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), T visas or U visas;
- File all relevant paperwork and applications with government agencies, immigration court, and state court, where applicable;
- Attend immigration and state court hearings, and interviews and adjudications before government agencies;
- Conduct or oversee legal intakes and the provision of know-your-rights information to child clients;
- Recruit, train, and advise pro bono attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters and related family law matters;
- Develop and maintain updated guidance materials, sample filings, and legal training presentations;
- Participate in staff meetings, supervisory meetings, relevant trainings and conferences, and KIND-wide calls;
- Assist in the supervision of law student interns and volunteers;
- Assist with periodic trainings and presentations;
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and reports;
- Collaborate with KIND management in support of KIND’s mission; and
- Represent KIND at meetings with local coalitions, courts, and agencies.
Work is generally performed within the office environment, but will include attendance at court proceedings, as well as telephone contact with pro bono attorneys.
This position may have occasional travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.