6402 Arlington Blvd.
Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking an energetic Policy Communications Manager to generate and support external communications relating to the Tahirih Justice Center’s program activities and policy advocacy. Communications will include emails to supporters, action alerts, social media posts, web posts, media statements, blogs, op-eds, letters to the editor, papers, and reports. These communications will position Tahirih as a national leader in service to and advocacy on behalf of women and girls fleeing human rights abuses, and will drive increases in supporter numbers, involvement, and affinity over time.
The Policy Communications Manager will work closely with program and policy staff across the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. This position reports to the Chief of Policy.
- Manage media outreach, triage media requests, and develop relationships with key media sources
- Prepare staff for media interviews
- Draft and edit content related to Tahirih’s advocacy and mission such as emails to supporters, action alerts, social media posts, web posts, newsletters, media statements, blogs, letters to the editor, papers, and reports
- Manage petitions, web content, and other external advocacy communications
- Develop and curate Tahirih’s client story collection
- Create and implement media and public policy campaigns that elevate the impact of public policy shifts on Tahirih’s clients
- Work with the Chief of Policy to develop strategy for advocacy campaigns and contribute to strategy and content for development campaigns
- Coordinate with public policy team, development and communications team, and program teams nationally to ensure content is consistent with the organization’s messaging platform and nonpartisan values
- Guide and mentor staff on other teams within Tahirih to generate effective communications pieces focused on their local spheres of influence; leverage those resources to communicate priority messages for Tahirih as a whole in their local regions
- Work closely with Marketing Manager to ensure coordination of communications and messaging
- Report quarterly on progress toward advocacy communications goals
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Three (3) to five(5) years of relevant experience (i.e. journalist, communications team leader, or organizer)
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills; experience generating short, engaging content
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Commitment to Tahirih’s mission, clients, cultural humility and nonpartisan advocacy style
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing advocacy and/or communications strategies
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on generating content for a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder and effective communicator both internally and externally
- High energy and maturity with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Strong project manager, with an ability to delegate and coordinate deliverables across multiple internal constituents
- Demonstrated experience leveraging current technologies to communicate with large audiences, and developing/maintaining a virtual presence
- Experience working on gender-based violence issues and/or immigration
- Experience working directly with media
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.