Using an intensive case management model and human rights based approach, Safe Horizon operates a comprehensive, community-focused social and legal services program for survivors of human trafficking, many of whom have experienced and witnessed physical, sexual and/or psychological abuse, survived torture and other forms of organized violence.
The Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to survivors of human trafficking, develops and participates in policy and legislative advocacy and develops and conducts trainings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conducts in-depth interviews with clients to assess potential immigration relief as well as other legal needs, including eligibility for T-visas, U-visas, asylum, and other forms of relief.
- Seeks immigration remedies on behalf of clients. Prepares T and U Visa applications, Adjustment of Status applications, asylum applications, consular processing, and other forms of relief.
- Represents clients in removal proceedings, where appropriate.
- Provides information and options to clients related to the criminal justice system.
- Prepares clients for court appearances, accompanies client to interviews with law enforcement agents, and provides other criminal justice advocacy as needed.
- Drafts all legal documents and makes court appearances with clients when necessary.
- Responsible for assisting clients with a holistic range of services, including advocacy on non-legal issues and referrals for additional legal needs.
- Coordinates with internal program case managers, external social providers, and law enforcement agents.
- Maintains clients’ case files and all internal data logs.
- Maintains monthly statistical reports documenting case representation, provision of legal advocacy and referrals, including statistical data provided to funders.
- Conducts presentations and trainings to community-based organizations, other service providers and law enforcement to promote the mission of the agency.
- Develops and maintains relationships with individuals, organizations and government agencies within the immigration and human trafficking advocacy communities locally and nationally.
- Supervises volunteers and interns.
- Must have a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school and be admitted to a state bar.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess strong oral and written communications skills, including the ability to convey legal concepts to lay people.
- The ability to write routine reports, court documents, case notes, legal briefs, pleadings and correspondence in a clear, concise and effective manner is essential.
- Must be creative and have critical thinking skills.
- Must be a persuasive and effective public speaker.
- Must possess demonstrated appropriate communications skills for a variety of audiences including client populations, colleagues, law enforcement, and local, state and federal lawmakers.
- Problem-solving, prioritizing, time management, team-building and organizational skills are also essential.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with various individuals, organizations and government agencies is essential.
- Bilingual oral and written fluency in Spanish required; additional language fluency preferred.
- Must have 2-3 years of experience providing direct legal services in immigration, human trafficking and/or related field.
- Familiarity with legal services, resources and procedures available to immigrant communities in New York City preferred.
- Must have experience working in social justice and/or human rights fields and be familiar with the underlying social issues impacting survivors of human trafficking, violent crime, domestic violence, torture, and/or flight from persecution in other countries.
- Prior experience organizing and executing group trainings and information exchanges is preferred.
- Prior experience working with immigrant populations and/or crime victim populations preferred.
- Prior experience in the field of human trafficking preferred.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required