250 Valencia Street
The San Francisco Friends School, a Quaker K-8 school located in the Mission district of
San Francisco, seeks an experienced Director of Communications to start on June 1, 2018.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned communications professional, a graceful writer, and a creative thinker about messages and relationships. We are looking for someone to join our team who anticipates opportunities for communications and proactively puts ideas and plans into motion. We are a highly collaborative community, and seek candidates who have the confidence, skill and openness to partner with students, parents, teachers, administrative colleagues and trustees in leading the school’s communications.
In this position, the Director of Communications will work to advance communications within and beyond the school community, focusing on the school’s mission and philosophy, advancing the school’s presence within the concentric circles of the SFFS family – students, teachers, staff, parents, grandparents, alumnae and friends, and in the larger educational and Quaker community. The Director of Communications works with every member of the school community, but serves a member of the Development Office, under the direction of the Director of Development.
The position is full-time and year-round, with competitive salary and benefits. We have some flexibility with the start date, should that be a factor in your consideration.
- Partner with administrative colleagues to market the school in Quaker circles, in educational circles, within the city of San Francisco, and on the state, national and international level as relevant, serving as “storyteller-in-chief” to help deepen and build community.
- Write, design and produce school-wide publications, and collaborate with specific offices (Development, Admissions, Horizons at SFFS) on communications and/or publications to support overall advancement of school and specific programs.
- Attend school functions and assure that key messages are shared in a relevant and
- Attend to the archiving of photos, media, and other relevant materials.
- Manage periodic emails to parents, faculty and staff in a timely manner.
- Manage school’s social media presence through Facebook or other vehicles as appropriate.
- Oversee upkeep of school’s website, and co-manage parent wiki with Parents Association.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of five years of professional communications and marketing experience.
- Experience with FileMaker Pro, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete multiple tasks on time with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience with all modes of communication – written materials as well as social and interactive media.
- Desire to work together with key administrators to assure that the school mission, philosophy and pedagogy are presented in a well-thought-out overall communications plan.
- Candidates fluent in Spanish greatly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email a resume and thoughtful
cover letter in PDF format, along with a writing sample and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by mail to:
Director of Development
San Francisco Friends School
250 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94103