2401 Virginia Avenue, NW
Social Services Program Summary:
The Social Services Program works to help guests connect to needed services and care, with a priority on securing housing and maintaining housing with support from Miriam’s Kitchen and community providers. The program seeks to help guests be as healthy as possible and be able to successfully pursue their goals.
Services are delivered in our dining room in conjunction with the breakfast and dinner we serve every weekday. Miriam’s Kitchen case managers invite guests to receive a wide range of social services either at Miriam’s Kitchen or through community services, including mental health, medical, and substance abuse services, assistance finding adequate shelter and permanent housing, connection to employment, and help meeting other immediate needs such as clothing, toiletries, transportation, and haircuts. By creating an atmosphere of hospitality where guests can choose how they receive support, Miriam’s Kitchen is able to build relationships with many vulnerable individuals who have difficulty connecting with services due to complex barriers such as a mental illness or problems with substance abuse. Miriam’s Kitchen also seeks to build a sustaining community for our guests that draws on their creative gifts through Miriam’s Studio, which invites guests to participate in group activities such as art therapy and creative writing workshops, yoga sessions, wellness programs, and advocacy groups.
The Case Manager (40 hours per week) will provide a variety of direct services to homeless individuals during our program hours, with the opportunity to complete a variety of projects to ensure smooth and efficient functioning as well as improvement of programs. The Case Manager schedule has some flexibility with shifts available for the Morning Program (6:15 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.), the Evening Program (10 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.), or a combination of some morning and some evening programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop trusting relationships with Miriam’s Kitchen guests. Engage guests in housing, mental health, substance abuse, health, education, employment, and other needed services. Facilitate referrals to services to ensure a smooth and established connection.
- Actively look for ways for Miriam’s Kitchen to expand or change programs to fill unmet needs.
- Lead creative arts and/or life skills groups for guests.
- Support and encourage activities of Miriam’s Kitchen volunteers.
- Opportunities available for involvement in broader program evaluation efforts, development and communications projects, and advocacy activities.
- Previous work with persons experiencing homelessness and/or lived experience of homelessness.
- Knowledge, experience, and ability to connect with individuals experiencing mental health issues and/or substance abuse.
- Ability to work as a member of a culturally diverse team.
- Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred, but not required.
- Flexibility and openness to working in a fast paced program services environment with guests from diverse racial, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong sense of boundaries.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary. Benefits include generous annual leave; fully covered health, dental, and vision insurance; 403(b) retirement plan with employer contributions; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; and professional development funding.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Resume and cover letter should be e-mailed with subject line of “MK CM position” to email@example.com