Status: This is a part-time position, 20 - 24 hours/week
As a key member of The Bowery Mission’s Finance & Administration team, the General Counsel is the primary point of contact for all legal and risk-related matters at The Bowery Mission - a Christian faith-based, privately funded, $27 M non-profit organization.
General Counsel will assess and identify potential risks affecting the reputation, safety, security and financial viability of the organization, develop an overall risk management strategy, develop policies and implement processes, procedures and controls to ensure that the organization is fully prepared to deal with any potential liabilities.
The scope of the position includes communicating risk management priorities and making appropriate recommendations to executive leadership; representing the organization as needed in the courtroom and at hearings with various regulatory and governmental bodies, documenting and tracking resolutions of all risk events; reviewing all contracts and managing projects related to the organization’s insurance coverage.
She/he will also be available as needed to review all Human Resources policies /procedures, and advice regarding sensitive personnel issues - all to ensure that the organization remains compliant with the laws of the State of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Reports to: Chief Financial and Administration Officer.
Direct Reports: None
- Embraces the organization’s Statement of Faith.
- Growing desire to serve those experiencing homelessness.
- Juris Doctor Degree; licensed to practice law in New York and in good standing with the Bar.
- 7-10 years’ of experience advising clients on risk management issues in a law firm or serving in a small to medium sized corporation or non-profit organization as a risk management director or manager.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Discerning professional with proven collaborative leadership style.
- Possesses a strong work ethic, humility, integrity, and sound judgment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Not for profit experience preferred but not required.
- Licensed to practice law in New Jersey.
Minimum Education Required