The Development Associate, North America is an integral part of Room to Read’s North America Development team and the location can either be located in New York or San Francisco. This position will report directly to the Manager, North America who is based in San Francisco. S/he plays a key role in the implementation of Room to Read’s fundraising throughout the United States and Canada, focusing on the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors and prospects. The Development Associate is highly focused on developing relationships, renewing and upgrading annual gifts, and providing strong customer service to Room to Read’s donors.
Room to Read is looking for a dynamic, personable, results-oriented person to continue to grow our success in the North American market. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated team player who is committed to our cause and has a track record of delivering fundraising results.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Raise a minimum of $1MM per year by managing a portfolio of 150-200 major donor prospects. This includes identifying new donors, renewing existing donors, and upgrading current donors at the $5,000-$100,000+ levels.
- Using sound fundraising principles, develop donor engagement and cultivation strategies that utilize the expertise of key Room to Read staff and leadership with the goal of deepening donors’ commitment to the organization. Build long-term relationships with donors and prospects by identifying, cultivating, and stewarding their interests.
- Conduct initial exploratory meetings with prospects to determine capacity and interest in supporting Room to Read at the major gift level. As appropriate, take the lead on new fundraising opportunities in the North America market.
- Support the work of the North America team as required, including: managing high level events and senior leadership engagements in the region, regional business planning, income tracking and forecasting, proposal development, and reporting.
- Support the Events Manager with events throughout the geography including: development of fundraising strategy, soliciting current donors and prospective donors to secure tickets and tables, securing pre-committed funds to the event, and other duties as necessary.
- Collaborate with other Development team members including the Global Partnerships team, as well as Room to Read’s volunteer chapter network to maximize opportunities for building a pipeline among corporate, community, and other giving channels.
- Represent Room to Read at fundraising and awareness-building events, through external presentations, and in donor cultivation meetings.
- Will be responsible for maintain accurate donor records and track contact in moves management system.
- Stay current with organizational strategies and program details in order to recommend potential funding opportunities to donors.
- Manage temporary administrative staff, interns, and volunteers as necessary.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5+ years professional fundraising experience (or client relationship management) in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization with proven experience in cultivating donors and securing five-figure and higher donations
- Ability to design, implement, and direct fundraising initiatives, including individualized cultivation, solicitation, and recognition strategies
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to non-profit organizations
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office applications
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, particularly presentation skills
- Ability to work thoughtfully and collaboratively with diverse groups of people
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Strong work ethic and sense of humor
- Ability and desire to travel, as needed
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- Experience working with databases, specifically Salesforce
- Proven track record of fundraising contributions in the $25,000-50,000 range
- Knowledge of the North America non-profit and philanthropic market
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office - Main - San Francisco
Global Office - New York
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled