120 South LaSalle Street, Suite 900
For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work impacts about 30,000 people each year.
Position: LAF is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney for the Immigrants and Workers’ Rights Practice Group (“IWR”) to provide direct legal services primarily in our Migrant Project.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Provide comprehensive legal services to farmworker clients with employment law related matters, including unemployment, wage theft, discrimination, housing, labor based U-visas, and labor trafficking;
· Co-counseling cases across IWR;
· Leading community outreach throughout Illinois;
· Training staff on identifying the legal needs of farmworker clients;
· Making appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
· Attending trainings and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current legal issues surrounding farmworker law;
· Assisting with grant reporting requirements;
· Supervising law student interns;
· Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorney and Director.
The attorney will work with staff of LAF’s IWR Practice Group, which is the only group at LAF providing legal services statewide. IWR consists of three projects: migrant farmworkers, immigration, and employment.
Qualifications: Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois or pending results from the July 2018 bar exam; be committed to a career in public interest legal services, especially in issues affecting migrant and seasonal farmworkers; have strong oral and writing skills; be highly organized; be fluent in Spanish; have a driver’s license and good driving record; be willing to travel up to 50% of the time; and able to work as part of a team.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience level.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and the names and contact information for two professional references, to: email@example.com. Put the phrase “Migrant Project Staff Attorney” in the subject line of the e-mail.
The position will remain open until filled, and interviews will be conducting on a rolling basis.
LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.