Kaufman Music Center
129 W. 67th Street
Kaufman Music Center (www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org) is one of New York City's most vibrant cultural organizations, combining the finest in music education for all ages with world class performances in Merkin Hall. Founded in 1952 as a community school for pre-conservatory music training, today's Kaufman Music Center provides entertainment, education and inspiration for more than 75,000 New Yorkers every year. Kaufman Music Center is made up of three unique divisions: Merkin Hall is renowned for its innovative and diverse programming spanning classical, new music, jazz, popular music and Broadway as well as for its perfect acoustics; Lucy Moses School, New York’s largest community arts school, offers classes in music, dance and theater for all ages, backgrounds and skill levels. Special Music School is the only K-8 public school in New York for musically-gifted children—and a leading music education innovator.
We are seeking to hire a part-time Front Desk/Receptionist to greet and assist all students, staff, and visitors on weeknights and weekends. The ideal candidate will be a welcoming, efficient presence in our lobby, providing the highest level of customer service. The candidate must be able to relate to many different constituencies, both internal and external; promote a positive work environment; handle room assignments and financial transactions; juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and be a proactive problem solver.
· Ability to work nights and weekends
· Communicate openly and effectively
· Strong customer service and interpersonal skills – both in person and over the phone
· Welcoming, friendly demeanor
· Excellent people skills and ability to relate to both adults and children
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
· Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook
· Prior experience with scheduling software and access control software recommended
· 2+ years’ related experience required; bachelor’s degree preferred
· A music background is desirable.
· Greet everyone who enters the building, making sure they show ID or sign in and out
· Direct visitors and announce them to the administration before sending them upstairs
· Reserve space for studio rentals and maintain records for current studio renters
· Handle financial transactions for studio rentals and classes; reconcile daily cash transactions
· Communicate with maintenance regarding building needs, setup requirements, etc.
· Answer telephones, direct inquiries and deliver message promptly
· Sign for packages and deliveries
· Compile mailing list requests and assist with clerical tasks as needed
The position is roughly 15-20 hours/week. Preference given to candidates with a background in classical music or the Arts.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Front Desk/Receptionist. Please indicate in your cover letter how your experience matches the needs of the position.
No phone calls, please. Kaufman Music Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.