IFF improves the world by strengthening nonprofits and the communities they serve. As a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer, IFF helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and persons with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and grocery stores. Staff contributes its extensive business experience with an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF and the nonprofit clients it serves.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work it does and can demonstrate their creativity, detail-orientation, diligence, efficiency, enthusiasm, flexibility, organization, thoughtfulness, and sense of humor.
Our staff of nearly 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI.
Basic Job Function
The Development Associate participates in projects conceptualized and managed by Lead Developers. The Development Associate works on many development projects simultaneously, participates in departmental planning meetings for projects, is an active Development Team member and supports the work of Lead Developers as needed. The Development Associate also interfaces regularly with colleagues in IFF’s Finance and Asset Management teams.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists Lead Developers in coordinating all aspects of project management for projects that are assigned, including scheduling internal and external meetings as appropriate, following project steps that have been delineated, meeting project goals and milestones.
- Assists the Lead Developer with financial analysis and other data tracking through project related spreadsheets.
- Coordinates site visits and outside real estate professionals as necessary.
- Coordinates predevelopment work associated with projects including due diligence on buildings and land, hiring third-parties (architects, contractors, and other professionals), securing construction estimates and any other work necessitated by the project.
- Secures bids, permits, waivers, insurance certificates and other documents. Secures proposals for accepted bids.
- Provides assistance in securing project funding through gathering of specific data, coordinating reports and preparing application materials.
- Adds organizational support for the Development team. Able to gather highly detailed information and maintain it in a logical fashion.
- Assists in coordinating the financial closings (construction and permanent) of projects.
- Willing to take direction and keep team members apprised of their progress through regular updates.
- Supports Development staff in communications with project funders, municipalities and stakeholders to advance projects or determine project viability.
- Supports the work of Lead Developers on consulting projects, including note-taking, making follow-up phone calls, creating PowerPoint presentations, assisting with report writing and preparation, and preparing materials for external meetings.
- Demonstrates independent learning and interest in development projects and processes. Maintains required job knowledge and skills and core professional competencies. Attends and participates in required educational programs and staff meetings.
- Work with Asset Management and Finance to develop and maintain Real Estate financial models to calculate estimated project returns as well as liquidity needs.
- Actively support annual budgeting process as requested.
- Serve as a liaison between Finance, Accounting and Development.
- Assists in the development of automated reporting dashboards
- Present findings and contribute visual and written materials to reports, publications and proposals. Create data visualizations in Excel and Business Intelligence tools to support strategic and analytical thinking vis-à-vis identifying patterns and trends in data.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Successful completion of projects according to goals set forth for each project, the project budget and schedule, and Development’s policies and procedures. Completed projects meet quality standards.
2. High level of internal and external client satisfaction with respect to services provided and reports produced.
3. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, and obtains a high level of colleague satisfaction with respect to work performed.
4. Internal and external meetings are facilitated in an organized way and are meaningful to the participants. Outcomes of these meetings are analyzed and well presented.
5. Written reports are complete, accurate and clear and follow policies and procedures.
6. Willingness to learn basics of building design, construction and financial underwriting practices from Development team members. This will be an active position with many learning opportunities within the department and across the organization.
7. Oral presentations are clear, well organized, comprehensive and persuasive. Appropriate supporting material and visual aids are well utilized and enhance the presentation.
8. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
9. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
10. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members measured by high satisfaction on IFF team evaluation and client surveys.
11. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in urban planning or studies, business or finance. A demonstrated interest in real estate development and project management is an acceptable equivalent to specific degrees above.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
1. General knowledge of real estate development projects and process.
2. Basic knowledge of affordable housing programs, community development, charter schools, or early childhood education preferred.
3. Analytical and strategic skills; ability to plan, manage and implement multiple and complex projects; and ability to understand and conceptualize project goals.
4. General understanding and interest in finance and lending practices and protocols.
5. Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
6. Interest in working in a team environment, managing many relationships and project partners.
7. Passion to learn real estate development project management skills.
8. Experience with a variety of computer software related to project management, including word processing, database programs, spreadsheet and project management packages.
Unusual Requirements: Local travel may be required. The Development Associate will visit abandoned buildings and vacant lots. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com . Please include “Development Associate” in the subject line of the email.