337 Alexander Avenue
Extended Day Program Director
Bronx & Manhattan
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create an economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx.
East Side House is looking for a highly-motivated, organized, and supportive person to work at East Side House Youth After-School Academy, a literacy-focused after school program for students in grades 6 through 8 from high-poverty communities in Bronx, NY. The Group Leader’s primary responsibility is to design and lead enrichment activities for students. We are seeking creative professionals with experience working with the youth in the following (but not limited to) areas: Music, visual arts, media technology, dance, sports and recreation, health awareness and community leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following:
- Plan, implement and document successful educational, recreation, youth leadership, and community service and arts activities with school-aged children.
- Adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
- Build a positive relationship with each after-school participant in your care, and foster positive connections between participants. Actively engage with children at all times with the goal of fostering the positive development of each child and the group.
- Conduct yourself as a professional and representative of the agency with school staff, parents, children and anyone else with whom you come into contact in your role.
- Effectively manage assigned group. Maintain and enforce progressive discipline policy.
- Assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to Director.
- Inspect on a daily basis all facilities, equipment, and supplies and be sure all are accounted for and put away at the end of each day.
- Work as a part of a collaborative team, providing support to any specialist implementing activities.
- Actively participate in all aspects of staff or member development, including bi-weekly supervision, team meetings, pre-service training, and an additional at least 15 hours of training during the school year.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1.High School Diploma with some college preferred.
2.Must have experience working with young children in a structured youth program of middle school, preferably in a racially, ethically, and socio-emotionally diverse urban community.
3.Possess and ability to engage and lead children in small group activities in your area of specialty; strong communication skills, strong organizational skills, excellent judgment, ability to work in a team in a variety of environments.
4.Candidates possessing skills in foreign languages, visual arts, music, or performing arts are strongly encouraged to apply.
5. Bilingual is a must.
1. Communication Proficiency
3.Problem Solving/ Analysis
5. Ethical Conduct
Expected Work Schedule
This is a seasonal part-time position, working up to 15 hours a week. The Extended Day Program operates on school days from 2:30pm – 5:30pm, and occasionally on non-school days from 7:30am - 5:45pm. The program operates Monday-Friday only. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
- Department of Health Fingerprint Clearance
- Department of Education Fingerprint Clearance
- Department of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance
- State Central Registry (SCR) Clearance
- Staff Exclusion List (SEL) Clearance
- Health Statement
Required Online trainings
- Mandated Reporter, 2 hours.
- Health & Safety Training, 5 hours.
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional school environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This role will also require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual is a must.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.