Part Time Temporary Contract
Details: Starting rate $25/hr
610 West 112th street
Liberty LEADS is a NYC-based college access program that has been serving over 200 underrepresented youth between 5th and 12th grade each year since 1989. Liberty LEADS was founded to empower youth by helping them attain higher education, embrace leadership engagement, and create a positive future for themselves and others. Liberty LEADS provides an alternative learning environment in which young people can experience success as learners and increase their ability and motivation to graduate from high school and seek entry into postsecondary education and/or meaningful employment. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
Math in the City Summer Program is a summer program for students entering the 6th and 7th grade (currently in 5th and 6th grades.) MIC focuses on building math skills and enhancing interpersonal relationships through the use of experiential education and applied mathematics while providing a project based learning experience. This model uses a co-teaching approach where 2-3 teachers will work together and will support students in building essential math skills necessary to be on track for their grade level and will allow students to apply math concepts to real life scenarios Projects in the past have included the study of NYC and NYS parks. Programming begins July 2, 2018 and will meet the first week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (Wednesday July 4th National Holiday),and continues for the remainder of July meeting Monday through Thursday. Required hours are 9:00 am to 3:30pm. All applicants must be able to work the entire program and willing to accompany students on field trips. Salary is commensurate with experience and available funding. Mandatory Teacher Orientation & training will take place in June, date TBA.
- Co-create, co-teach and implement project based math curriculum for groups of current 5th and 6th grade students
- Engage students and differentiate instruction to meet the needs of students
- Manage classroom using positive behavior management strategies
- Meet regularly with the Liberty LEADS Middle School Advisor for supervision and debriefing
- Must possess a Bachelor or Master degree in education or related field
- NYS Teacher Certification or professional proficiency in content area preferred
- Previous experience teaching middle school youth
- Project Based Learning experience
- Co-teaching experience
- Knowledge and understanding of the Common Core preferred
Salary commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
Marisol Saks, Operations Manager - Banks Street College of Education - Liberty Leads
firstname.lastname@example.org and apply through the Bank Street website.