875 Howard St.
Kiva (Kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our company combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month and Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level. Headquartered in San Francisco, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 300+ volunteers worldwide.
This position is an integral part of Kiva's Development team. The Development Manager will be responsible for managing and expanding strategic fundraising partnerships with corporations and foundations throughout the Western U.S. region. The efforts of the Development Manager will be focused on securing grant funding as well as building new corporate lending programs, through employee engagement and consumer outreach, with corporations based on the West Coast. The position will report directly to the Senior Director of Development.
Responsibilities / Tasks:
- Serve as the first point of contact and main liaison for a portfolio of corporate and foundation partners in the Western U.S. region
- Source and maintain relationships with 75-100 organizations with a goal of raising $1MM+ annually in loan volume and $1MM+ annually in operating support
- Act as the primary point of contact for supporters and partners for the Kiva Oakland program
- Manage all external and internal communications as it pertains to this portfolio, grant writing, and ongoing reporting for the portfolio to ensure timeliness and high quality of Kiva reports
- Generate new opportunities through research, assertive and strategic outreach, and active participation in microfinance, international development, and funder networks
- Respond quickly and tactically to incoming prospective funder inquiries
- Develop pitch decks and concept strategy documents for new corporate partners including creative ideas to engage their employees and consumers through lending on Kiva
- Collaborative approach to working with teams across Kiva in order to coordinate major funding opportunities including Senior Management, Product and Engineering, Legal, Finance, Microfinance Partnerships, Marketing and Communications
- Manage multiple stakeholders’ requests and drive deliverables on an accelerated timeline
- Coordinate and support events on the West Coast to spread the word about Kiva
- Maintain Salesforce database with accurate funder records and information
- Other duties as necessary
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Track record of securing six-figure grants and donations from foundations and corporations.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in fast-paced, growth-oriented organization(s), specifically in a non-profit development role or for-profit sales experience, with significant portion of past portfolio(s) including working with corporations
- Deep interest in international development and financial inclusion and capable of speaking articulately about international development and microfinance with funders, including a strong understanding of Kiva’s role and paths for growth
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to non-profit organizations and international development. Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and very high EQ
- Excellent verbal and written communication and excellent listening skills; Adept at using PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- High energy and experience managing multiple projects and stakeholder demands simultaneously
- Capable of producing written documents and pitch decks with a very fast turnaround, in a way that reflect a clear understanding of funder goals and how those intersect with new initiatives at Kiva
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Must be independent and trustworthy to take on and manage relationships, while also being a team player and communicative with a broad set of stakeholders
- Results-oriented, detail-oriented, extremely organized, and able to multi-task - ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- MBA or Master’s in International Relations/Global Studies/International Development/etc.
- Experience living or working internationally; particularly experience living or working in a developing country
- Experience working with C-level executives at corporations and/or wealth managers and high net-worth individuals
- Track record of building successful employee engagement and/or consumer engagement campaigns for corporations
- Experience working with databases, specifically Salesforce
To be successful as a member of the Kiva team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to positively impact a dynamic non-profit organization
- Have a passion for technology and the unique ways technology can be leveraged to alleviate poverty and make a positive impact in the world
- Have a positive, can-do attitude, and a willingness to tackle everything from the nuts and bolts of a partnership to high level strategy on new initiatives
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you're not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Minimum Education Required