650 Harrison Street
California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR) is a dynamic statewide nonprofit advocacy organization. For the past 35 years, CANHR has been dedicated to improving the choices, care, and quality of life for California’s long term care consumers. CANHR supports consumers and the legal services community through direct advocacy, community education, legislation, and litigation.
The Aging and Disability Advocate educates and empowers older and dependent adults who reside in long term care facilities, or who are seeking long term care services in the community. The position is full time 37.5 hours per week. Hours of operation are 9am-5pm Monday through Friday.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Advocate position includes, but is not limited to:
Counseling and Advocacy
- Provide information on Medi-Cal eligibility, alternatives to institutionalization, and residents’ rights
- Provide quality and service information on long term care facilities
- Offer advocacy intervention in response to consumer complaints regarding residents’ rights, long term care, Medicare and Medi-Cal
- Work with legal services community to assist consumers with rights and remedies
Community Outreach and Education
- Coordinate training sessions for social workers, discharge planners and others that work with long term care consumers and their families
- Speak to community groups
- Network with organizations involved in long term care issues
- Prepare consumer information materials
- Write articles for CANHR's quarterly newsletter
- Assist with special projects as requested by the Program Manager or Executive or Deputy Director
- Summarize citations issued to skilled nursing facilities by DPH
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) required; Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) preferred
- Three years of professional experience in legal services, social work or related field
- Excellent written, organizational and communication skills
- Computer literacy and ability to learn new tech skills; knowledge of Macs a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and a passion for advocacy
- Experience with long term care issues and Medi-Cal or other public benefits
- Ability to speak Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin is desirable
CANHR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome diversity in the workplace.
CANHR provides excellent benefits including medical/dental, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave and life insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
The ability to speak Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin is desirable.
Minimum Education Required