100 Gold Street
GrowNYC, home to the Greenmarket farmers’ market program and other environmental initiatives, is seeking seasonal Managers for Youthmarket, a network of youth-run farm stands with a three-fold mission: to provide business opportunities for regional farmers, job experience and education to NYC youth, and access to fresh, healthy, local foods to underserved communities. Youthmarket is an innovative approach to both food access and youth development, and also plays a crucial role in the operations of Greenmaket Co., GrowNYC’s local food hub and distribution program.
Part-time Youthmarket Manager Position: GrowNYC seeks highly organized, self-motivated, outgoing early-riser to manage one youth-run farm stand in NYC on Saturdays. Reporting to the Youthmarket Program Coordinator, part-time Youthmarket Manager will set up and take down farm stands, oversee merchandising and sales, supervise youth and conduct at-market lessons and activities about the produce sold at the market, healthy eating, and small business skills. Part-time Youthmarket Manager will also have scheduled 2-3 office hours to deposit market income and submit all financial paperwork for their markets to the Program Coordinator. Part-time Youthmarket Manager will function as Youthmarket’s field representative to program participants and partner organizations and must have the ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, including youth and seniors. Applicants should have an interest in food, knowledge about food systems, and a desire to increase food-access in NYC’s low-income communities. The position requires excellent time management and organizational skills, excellent communications skills (both written and oral), a professional demeanor, high physical energy (must be able to lift 50 lbs), familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Documents, and experience working with young people and/or seniors. Applicants must be reliable, responsible, and capable of working independently, with minimal supervision. Part-time Youthmarket Manager will be required to manage a Youthmarket on Saturdays and spend additional few hours in the office on Tuesdays to submit all market paperwork. Speakers of Spanish, Chinese, Russian and other languages are strongly encouraged to apply.
Physical Requirements: Part-time Youthmarket Manager position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, carrying heavy and bulky items on a daily basis (must be able to lift 50 lbs), and working early morning hours.
Youthmarket Manager Responsibilities:
Below is a list of some, but not all, of the Youthmarket Manager duties:
- Maintain equipment and materials necessary to daily market operations, including price signs, tents, tables, and scales;
- Supervise daily market operations—including set up, merchandising, sales, and breakdown—according to schedule;
- Fill out daily paperwork to be submitted to the Program Coordinator;
- Maintain strict oversight of market revenue, and submitting it to the Program Coordinator;
- Help facilitate a training session for youth staff at the outset of the market season;
- Supervise youth at market, guiding them as they receive on-the-job training in customer service and merchandising and educating them about market product and the program’s mission;
- Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets, and the use of EBT/Food Stamps at the market;
- Oversee and guide volunteers at market;
- Function as GrowNYC Youthmarket’s representative to partner organizations and their staff;
- Be knowledgeable about origins and uses of products at market; be able to communicate that knowledge to youth and customers.
Agriculture is seasonal in New York, as is the job of the Youthmarket Manager. The position will start with training days in late August, with part-time/seasonal work beginning in early September and ending in early December. The part-time Youthmarket Manager will work 10-15 hours per week. The position pays $16/hour and includes only statutory benefits. Submit cover letter, resume, and three references to Kori Petrovic, Youthmarket Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Part-time Youthmarket Manager Position” in the subject line. Interviews will be on a rolling basis and positions will be filled as they become available. No phone calls please. For additional information about Youthmarket, please see our website at www.grownyc.org/youthmarket. GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references to Kori Petrovic, Youthmarket Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please write “Part-time Youthmarket Manager Position” in the subject line. Interviews will be on a rolling basis and positions will be filled as they become available. No phone calls please.