The A&M Director is responsible for the fundraising and marketing functions of KNOX, Inc. This leader will manage a team who develops and implements fundraising, manages relationships and creates and executes marketing strategies in collaboration with the Executive Director (ED), the Program Director and other leadership staff as appropriate.
Reporting to the ED and serving as a member of the management team, along with the COO, CFO, and Programs Director, the A&M Director’s primary responsibility is to expand KNOX’s financial resources in order to support all KNOX activities and further KNOX’s mission. To do so, the A&M Director will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with donors (including individuals, organizations and government entities), as well as certain partners and fee-for-service clients;
- Create and manage fundraising events and other giving campaigns;
- Develop a strategy for and oversee all grant applications; and
- Manage all aspects of KNOX’s external communications strategy.
In addition, the A&M Director works with the management team to contribute to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices and interacts with the Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Develop and implement an organizational plan to identify, recruit, cultivate, expand, and maintain the portfolio of individual donors.
- Create and consider strategies to increase donations from both current and prospective donors with the goal of increasing gifts to the organization annually as defined during annual goal setting.
- Develop and implement major and planned giving strategies.
- Oversee fundraising programs, including the organization’s annual appeal and membership program.
- Initiate and maintain positive relations with individual donors through appropriate and timely acknowledgements.
- Canvas, network, research, and plan for the acquisition of new donors and fee-for-service clients.
- Act as government liaison and corporate liaison across a wide variety of initiatives.
- Develop actionable plans for the organization in concert with a wide base of stakeholders.
- Oversee implementation of plans as required.
- Provide assistance in developing the organization’s annual budget.
- Work with program staff to develop long range fundable plans.
- Coordinate with program staff on deliverables/spend downs.
- Develop annual Advancement & Marketing plan and detailed revenue goals/tracking.
- Plan and develop materials for quarterly Advancement & Marketing Committee meetings.
- Provide input into all materials to ensure they meet overall fundraising and organizational needs.
- Ensure each fundraising event meets its goal.
- Develop new relationships with corporate and community sponsors.
- Attend and utilize all donor cultivation events.
- Support the marketing and events staff in event planning and implementation.
- Work with the KNOX management team and staff to develop an annual marketing and communications plan to achieve necessary visibility for the organization.
- Oversee implementation of external communications plan by marketing and events staff.
- Represent KNOX appropriately within the funding and civic community.
- Oversee the creation and quality of all required reports to grant funders.
- Develop monthly Advancement & Marketing report for the KNOX Board of Directors and compile additional reports as requested.
- Support members of the management team with respect to reporting on program budgets and reconciling grant spending to activities and budgets.
- 3 to 5 years of fundraising and relationship cultivation experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer software experience, including but not limited to the Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Active listener and collaborative team player.
- Ability to act independently and make decisions as required.
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers.
- Strong and beneficial community connections, or the demonstrated ability to quickly develop such connections.
- A deep understanding of Hartford’s challenges and assets.
- A personal network of business relationships throughout the Greater Hartford region.
Minimum Education Required