255 S. Marion
The School Age Assistant helps to provide direction for the program and assists the School Age Teacher in the implementation of program curriculum in the classroom. Aides in providing a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring. Ensures each child experiences a sense of Achievement, Relationship, and Belonging.
1. Partners on the design of the curriculum established by the School Age Teacher.
2. Implements the daily lesson/activity plans.
3. Supervises and actively engages the children, classroom, and all activities.
4. Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
5. Maintains communication with parents.
6. Maintains program site and equipment.
7. Maintains required program records.
8. Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
1. Meets educational and experience qualifications established by DCFS
2. At least 19 years of age and at least five years older than the oldest child with whom they work.
3. CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
4. Degree or pursuit of degree in Education or related field preferred.
5. Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
6. The School Age Assistants shall work under the direct supervision of the School Age Teacher and shall not assume full responsibility for a group of children, except as allowed by Section 407.190 (e) (2)
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
Minimum Education Required