450 Lexington Avenue
Everytown for Gun Safety is changing the conversation around gun violence in America. From issue advocacy, to corporate social responsibility, to our ballot and electoral campaigns, we’re building a robust counterweight to the gun lobby. And we’re winning.
At the center of our effort to build a bigger and more powerful movement are the individuals and families who have been directly impacted by gun violence. The Everytown Survivor Network works with Moms Demand Action to bring together Americans who have been personally affected to fight for solutions to the gun violence epidemic that kills more than 90 Americans and injures hundreds more everyday.
The Survivor Network is seeking a passionate, empathetic and dedicated professional with exceptional writing and communications skills to join the Survivor Network team in a mid-level role with a focus on elevating survivor voices in Everytown’s communications and campaigns. The Survivor Outreach and Engagement Manager will be focused on increased outreach of survivor stories with the goal of increased number of survivors engaging as volunteers to support the mission. The Survivor Outreach and Engagement Manager will work closely with Everytown’s communications team and other departments across the organization.
Candidates should feel comfortable preparing survivors for video and print media opportunities, occasionally liaising with media, identifying unique story angles and how survivor stories can be elevated in public awareness and advocacy campaigns. This position also entails extensive writing and editing responsibilities, so strong communications experience is essential. We’re looking for someone vision-oriented, with a track record of success working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and the ability to work with people who have experienced trauma or sensitive populations.
- Develop and implement plans to empower survivors to bring the gun violence prevention message to millions of Americans through public awareness campaigns, national and local news stories, speaking opportunities, and social media.
- Write and edit op-eds, LTEs, and internal and external communications to elevate survivor voices.
- Work closely with Everytown for Gun Safety’s Communications team to identify and prepare survivors for media opportunities.
- Develop and execute creative campaigns that elevate survivors and their stories, and represent Survivor Network in organizational programs and campaigns.
- Write and develop Survivor Network communications materials, including newsletters, brochures, social media posts, and website language which will lead to increased survivor engagements.
- Identify new voices and unique story angles for media opportunities and organizational campaigns.
- Ability to lead training to survivor leaders, with an emphasis on effective public speaking and participating in media interviews.
- Develop basic knowledge of gun violence prevention policy, and local and regional politics and relevant policy issues within the region.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in communications, public relations or journalism
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with an ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials around campaigns
- Experience writing content for a variety of platforms (video, email, long form pieces, etc.)
- Experience working with or supporting individuals in drafting speeches and remarks, preparing oral and written testimony, and related communications
- Experience working on topics related to trauma
- Experience preparing and/or training individuals to participate in media activities
- Experience developing and/or delivering media training is a plus
- Passion for the gun violence prevention cause
- Strong sense of empathy and experience working with sensitive populations (experience working with people who have experienced trauma or sensitive populations is helpful, but not required)
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work with deadlines and under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills with a sense of humor
- Self-motivated and flexible
- While not required, knowledge of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- While not required, fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Some travel required
Location: New York City or Washington, D.C., is preferred.
ABOUT THE EVERYTOWN SURVIVOR NETWORK
The Everytown Survivor Network, a program of Everytown for Gun Safety, brings together Americans who have been personally affected by gun violence to fight for solutions that prevent the gun violence that kills 96 Americans and injures hundreds more everyday. The Survivor Network connects people who have been shot and loved ones of those who have been shot or killed to build community and to empower survivors to become advocates for gun violence prevention. To learn more about the Survivor Network, visit www.everytown.org/survivors.
Everytown for Gun Safety is a movement of Americans fighting for common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence and save lives. Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than three million supporters and more than 125,000 donors. Our supporters include moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for reforms that respect the Second Amendment and protect people. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.<blockquote>Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.</blockquote>
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our job site and provide a resume and cover letter. Thank you.