222 Ridgedale Avenue
The Development Team’s Mission:
To build strong lifelong relationships with United Way’s constituents, match donor’s interest with United Way’s needs and priorities and secure the financial resources necessary for United Way to achieve excellence in supporting our work through individual giving, corporate campaigns and grants.
This position develops plans to gain the resources to support United Way of Northern New Jersey’s community focused strategic objectives. The Director will be responsible for achieving clearly defined revenue goals through analysis of giving data, development of strategies and cultivation of relationships throughout the community with local businesses, leaders, and CEOs. The Director also works intentionally in plans to develop greater engagement with companies year-round as well as the Individual Donor Experience. The Director works collaboratively with the workplace, major gifts, marketing and community impact teams to achieve organizational and revenue goals.
· Analyze all aspects of Resource Development data in order to systematically develop key growth strategies for
workplace giving, Major Gifts, Women United, grants and other revenue generating opportunities in order to
assist in development of annual plans.
· Oversee implementation of key strategies to increase corporate and employee giving.
· Oversee & create process to recruit new business and new donors.
· Exercise enthusiastic and demonstrated sales leadership to lead a diverse Resource Development staff,
providing superior coaching, mentoring and relationship building skills with accounts and donors.
· Work with the Sr. VP of Resource Development, to diversify revenue streams from sources outside traditional
· Lead effort, in coordination with the Sr. VP, to identify and recruit Resource Development volunteers.
· Build strong partnerships and leverage relationships with leaders and CEOs in the community. Cultivate these
relationships working collaboratively with the Sr. Director of Major Gifts to secure major gifts, including
· Meet with at risk and high-level accounts and manage those relationships.
· Identify and analyze barriers to giving and reasons for churn.
· Determine key metrics, accountability, and reporting mechanisms aligned with performance and growth
· Build and execute a plan for an effective Campaign Cabinet, that utilizes core volunteers to include the
Campaign Chair, in building effective CEO calls. Leads effort, in coordination with the CEO, to identify and
recruit Campaign Chairs.
· Participate in public speaking roles in various settings to educate key audiences about important community
issues, what we are doing to help advance those issues, and the outcomes of their investment in our efforts.
Skills and Competencies:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position and achieve high performance.
- Results driven – dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating resourcing, analyzing data, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations.
- Mission focused – the ability to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Relationship oriented – an understanding that people come before process and are astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator – understands the role and contribution of all the sectors of the community and can mobilize resources through meaningful engagement.
- Brand steward – a steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater work.
Operational Planning & Execution:
- Establishes effective and efficient processes that align their department priorities with greater organization goals, strategy and mission.
- Collaborates effectively within the organization
- Inspires and motivates people to build the culture of United Way as the Mission of Choice
- Engages volunteers in a way that helps execute the strategy.
- Partners with Sr. VP at board of director / volunteer / donor presentations, which include individual meetings and major events.
- Develops strategic relationships to benefit United Way and the community; Knowing key players in the community and diligent in maintaining and expanding the network of partners.
- Seeks learning from inside and outside the network to build skills, knowledge, and abilities to challenge the organization in reaching its potential.
- Effective spokesperson for United Way and its work.
- Is present and visible in the community and with partners (donors, volunteer); Engages, listens and understands community aspirations.
- Establishes credibility as a leader on critical issues and solutions affecting the community.
Relevant and increasing development knowledge and responsibility previously demonstrated; performance at a management level will also be considered.
5 to 10 years demonstrated success in leading major fundraising initiatives or comparable activities; preferably related to human services.
Proven track record of achieving and exceeding revenue goals.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes: medical, dental, vision, long term disability/group term life as well as a retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required