Child Trends is looking for a full-time HR Specialist to join our growing HR team. This position would be responsible for overseeing all recruitment activities including requisition posting, outreach and marketing, interviewing and liaising with candidates, managing skills assessments, and conducting internal hiring manager training on recruitment processes and legal responsibilities. Child Trends is a friendly, creative, and team-based work environment. We run our HR department in an open collaborative way with a focus on cross training and shared access, as such all HR staff are trained to assist in recruiting activities and are happy to pitch in during times of high volume. This position would report to the HR Manager and will be given a lot of autonomy both in their daily work and in shaping and changing our approach to talent acquisition.
The position is based in Bethesda, Maryland, three blocks from the Metro station, and would be eligible for telecommuting after an initial performance review.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Help meet organization staffing objectives by partnering with managers to recruit, evaluate, and hire top talent with a diverse mix of subject matter expertise and lived experiences.
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish job requirements, interview formats, and hiring timeline.
- Attracts applicants by placing job advertisements; conducting outreach, eliminating barriers, keeping pulse on current benefits and perks, and supporting development of marketing materials for recruitment.
- Maintain recruitment tools including sets of interview questions and standard skills assessments. Help update and develop new tools as needed.
- Determine applicant qualifications by reviewing applications, interviewing applicants; analyzing responses; verifying references; comparing qualifications to job requirements.
- Arrange interviews by coordinating schedules; arranging travel, lodging, and meals for candidates as necessary.
- Maintain accurate candidate records for each requisition and generate reports as needed.
- Avoid legal challenges by understanding current legislation around employment categories, illegal discrimination, and posting and record retention requirements for government contractors. Help enforce those regulations with managers by providing training and recommending changes to criteria or processes as necessary.
- Continually update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Experience, Education, Skills Requirements:
- At least 2 years of direct related work experience required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Spanish language fluency preferred
- Experience with ADP or other Applicant Tracking System preferred.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint required. Must be proficient in Outlook and comfortable using excel to be successful.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Keen attention to detail in composing and reviewing materials required.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy. Ability to work well with others and handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the “apply” link to submit an application directly on our website. Please combine cover letter and resume into one document before uploading. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!