Details: Based on experience and expertise
Lead Adolescent Montessori Teacher
The Journey School is a small, non-profit, middle school teaching children in grades 6 to 8 using the techniques and philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori. A unique land-based micro-farm school, the Journey School is redefining middle school education. We are hiring a Lead Adolescent Montessori Teacher, who will teach mathematics and science and oversee the Montessori curriculum, instruction, and programs at the school. This opportunity is perfect for someone who loves science and mathematics and is excited by the idea of growing a school (TJS will be in its fourth year) while ensuring we stick to our Montessori principles.
● Lead planning, preparation, and instruction following Montessori principles. As a teacher, teach math, science, and health to adolescent children, using Montessori principles to prepare them for high school and life. As a lead teacher, work with the other teachers to coordinate interdisciplinary lessons and projects.
● Plan and organize school micro-economy, over-night and day going-outs, and summer programs. TJS has bee hives, chickens, and gardens. We cook and sell dinners to the community. We’ve taken full advantage of the cultural resources in the D.C area by visiting Yorktown, Jamestown, National Archives, Smithsonian museums, and local businesses and farms. We go on three, multi-day, overnight trips a year. You will help plan, organize, and do all of these!
● Set the highest standards for quality and rigor of instruction. Ensure that our students are ready for what comes next for each of them with individualized and small group lessons.
- TJS seeks to hire staff that bring diverse perspectives and experiences to the community. The Lead Adolescent Teacher is critical to the success of our program. The ideal candidate embodies the following:
● Infectious love of mathematics and science*. You marvel at the geometric proof of the Pythagorean Theorem and are awed that we are all made of star-stuff. You want everyone, but especially middle school students, to be too.
● Great communicator. He/She has excellent communication skills - able to explain complex mathematical ideas to a twelve year-old, deliver feedback on a lesson to a colleague, and build a bridge between a Montessori middle school and high school for parents.
● Flexible, adaptable, creative. There will be growing pains since TJS is in its fourth year. The successful candidate will be a jill/jack-of-all-trades, willing to creatively go above and beyond to make certain our students receive an outstanding and comprehensive education.
● Loves teaching, both children and adults. You love teaching adolescents, seeing that proverbial light-bulb turn on; but, you also enjoy -- and are good at -- helping adults be their best.
● AMI adolescent or elementary certification or willing to be certified by attending the Orientation to Adolescent Studies in Huntsburg, Ohio June 24 - July 27, 2018
* Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or the sciences preferred, but wow us with your knowledge of Algebra II, Geometry, Physical Science, Biology, and Earth Science -- regardless!
TJS also offers generous medical insurance, retirement benefits, vacation time, sick leave, and tuition remission.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and instead of a traditional cover letter, evidence that demonstrates (1) your love, commitment, and knowledge of mathematics and science education and (2) an experience in which you were flexible, adaptable, and creative in a previous teaching role. You can submit an artifact (accompanied by any necessary context setting not to exceed one to two paragraphs) or, if there is no artifact available, please submit a compelling description not to exceed 1,000 words. Submissions can be sent to email@example.com with the subject line: Lead Adolescent Teacher Application.