The Alliance for Children’s Rights is seeking a dedicated Education Program Attorney to provide special education and early intervention advocacy for children. The attorney will assist foster children and education rights holders to secure early intervention and special education services through regional centers and school districts. The Education Program Attorney position is a wonderful opportunity for a well-qualified candidate to secure the benefits and services that these children need to succeed in school and in life.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE:
The Alliance for Children's Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, ensure that children who are at-risk or in foster care have safe, stable homes and can access the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. We also help transition-age youth overcome barriers to their stability and success, and we work statewide to improve child welfare practices and policies in order to remove the many obstacles that our clients face. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
Charity Navigator has awarded the Alliance its highest 4-star rating for the past nine years in a row. This puts the Alliance in the top 2% of charities in the U.S. rated by Charity Navigator. The 4-star rating reflects the Alliance’s sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
The Alliance is well known in the child welfare community for its knowledge, expertise, and accomplishments. Alliance staff members and our partnering pro bono attorneys are advocates for our most vulnerable children and their caregivers. Being the voice of young people who often have no voice, and otherwise could be forgotten, is incredibly rewarding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Represent clients in regional centers and school district meetings including IFSPs/IEPs, informal dispute resolution, mediations, and limited due process administrative hearings.
• Train and supervise pro bono attorneys, interns, and law clerks.
• Develop and update special education and early intervention materials for clients and the community; conduct community outreach and trainings.
• Coordinate services with social workers, children’s attorneys, and the juvenile court to ensure appropriate special education and/or early intervention services for youth in foster care, who may range in age from birth through 21.
• Represent the Alliance at education-related policy meetings; identify trends and advocate to implement policies to improve special education and/or early intervention services.
• Perform additional administrative duties, including client record keeping.
• California bar admission (or anticipated admission)
• Experience in regional center or school district special education advocacy, and/or administrative due process/litigation highly preferable.
• Experience with children in foster care, Dependency Court and/or child welfare system.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills - ability to communicate effectively with clients, attorneys, child welfare agencies, the judiciary, and the public.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Bilingual Spanish language skills preferable.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is seeking a dedicated Education Program Attorney to provide special education and early intervention advocacy for children. The attorney will assist foster children and education…
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or marital status. The above statements are of a general nature and are intended to describe the level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
The Alliance for Children's Rights offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For more information about the Alliance visit http://kids-alliance.org.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants…
TO APPLY: To be considered, you must submit a cover letter and resume to Jill Rowland at the Alliance for Children’s Rights, email@example.com. Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position.
TO APPLY: To be considered, you must submit a cover letter and resume to Jill Rowland at the Alliance for Children’s Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses will be sent only to…