Position: Senior Manager, Board and Council Relations
Duty Station: Montpellier, France or a capital in another European country
Closing Date for Applications: 5 August 2018
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced governance professional to join the CGIAR System Organization as Senior Manager for the Board and Council Relations unit. This position is responsible for supporting effective governance of the CGIAR System Management Board, its standing committees and working groups, and offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to a world free of poverty, hunger and environmental degradation.
Who We Are
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR Centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector. These 15 Centers have close to 10,000 staff based in over 50 countries.
Established in 2016, the CGIAR System Organization provides governance to the CGIAR System in collaboration with the System Council and has about 40 staff. The System Organization is committed to cultivating a work environment that reflects teamwork, gender equality, and respect for diversity. We endeavor to foster a multi-cultural environment that is free of any form of harassment and discrimination; and that embraces and values individuals regardless of age, ethnicity, race, gender, national or social origin, marital status or any other form of personal identity. Please find more information about CGIAR at www.cgiar.org.
Summary of the Position
A key member of the Board & Council Relations unit, the Senior Manager deputizes for the Head, Board and Council Relations within specific delegated authority and is primarily responsible for the following broad deliverables:
• Coherence in operations across the System Management Board, its committees and working groups and contributing to CGIAR’s movement towards a more aligned means of delivering on its mission.
• Effective governance support to the General Assembly of CGIAR’s Research Centers and the respective mandates of the various strategic and governing bodies of the CGIAR System.
• Substantive analyses in the field of governance, risk management and assurance to facilitate stronger knowledge, understanding, experience and learning on good governance practice.
• Driving an effective Board Assurance Framework tied to the CGIAR System Risk Management Framework and relevant guidelines and processes.
• Effective delivery of CGIAR System Management Board and System Council meetings, country visits, linkages with relevant communities of practice and other capacity building or information sharing initiatives.
• Leadership and fostering highly collaborative teamwork across the CGIAR System to support delivery of the CGIAR System business plan concept.
Qualifications, Experience & Competences
This position requires a politically astute, highly motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish one’s credibility rapidly with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholder. The ideal candidate must possess the following:
• An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in humanities, international studies, law, political science or related field. Formal accreditation in governance and compliance and Project Management qualification is strongly preferred.
• At least 10 years’ post-qualification experience in public administration, governance, development and/or international relations, and demonstrated experience leading up and across teams in a cross-functional and multi-disciplinary environment.
• Ability to manage relationships and work collaboratively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment, with a successful record of working with complex and sensitive issues and interacting with high-level government officials and inter-governmental bodies.
How to Apply
Please send your application letter and CV in English and as separate attachments, ensuring that neither document contains your marital status, age, nor photograph.
Please note: All received applications will be acknowledged, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications received after the closing date for applications will not be considered.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
The selected candidate will be employed by the CGIAR System Organization. Appointments are typically for a fixed term of 3 years, with a possibility of renewal subject to the System Organization’s needs and funding.
The CGIAR System Organization is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation with a favorable taxation arrangement in France, and comprehensive employee benefits comprising extensive insurance coverage, a retirement plan and relocation support where applicable.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Gravitas in communication at all levels and excellent written reporting skills in English. Working knowledge of the national language of a country that hosts a CGIAR System entity would be an advantage.
Minimum Education Required