The Center for Collaborative Education seeks a Director of Development and Communications. The Director is responsible for strengthening and managing CCE’s fundraising program and development strategy while at the same time performing the “hands-on” work needed to grow philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The Director serves as the primary convener for the Executive Director by organizing and creating opportunities for the ED to make asks that support that organization’s goals. The Director is a primary ambassador in advancing the organization through relationship building, appeals, and donor engagement, and also will be responsible for increasing the awareness and profile of the organization through communication initiatives.
About the Center for Collaborative Education
The mission of the Center for Collaborative Education (CCE) is to transform schools to ensure that all students succeed. CCE envisions a just and equitable world where every student is college- and career-ready and prepared to become a compassionate, thoughtful and contributing global citizen. CCE partners with public schools and districts to create and sustain effective and equitable schools.
To achieve its vision, CCE works at the school, district, and state levels to:
• Create learning environments that are collaborative, democratic and equitable;
• Build capacity within districts and schools to adopt new practices that promote collaborative, democratic and equitable learning for students and educators; and
• Catalyze systemic change at the school and district levels through district- and state-level policy and advocacy support.
Responsibilities of the Director of Development and Communications
The Director of Development and Communications will have the following responsibilities:
● Working with the ED and Board of Directors, develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy, plan, and budget, including reviewing/developing long- and short-term goals and objectives and defined, measurable results.
● Coordinate and develop all fundraising efforts and communicate and encourage support of the mission, vision, and values of CCE to potential donors, including business leaders, foundations, partners, and philanthropists who support social justice and educational causes. Direct all development activities, including annual giving/appeals, donor cultivation and solicitation, fund/friend-raising events, grant writing, and other fundraising efforts.
● Evaluate and launch new fundraising initiatives, including enhanced stewardship and event attendee follow up, expanded annual giving/direct mail, and a planned giving program.
● Assess the data needs of the organization and make recommendations for a new system.
● Work with the ED and Board and others to identify new prospects for cultivation and manage prospecting activities (e.g. in house and external visits with the ED and others when appropriate.) Cultivate, steward and solicit major and planned gift prospects for the ED and in partnership with others and Members of the Board.
● Work closely with the ED and other key staff to ensure consistent and clear communication and messaging through print and electronic media, events, and other forms of communication.
● Develop and maintain a system for accurate record keeping to ensure proper donor acknowledgment and stewardship and be able to strategize and track “moves.”
● Strengthen CCE’s ability to apply for grants and sustain them over time.
● Oversee all internal and external communications initiatives and develop and execute a strategic communications plan that includes the organization's communications, branding, website, social media and public engagement initiatives.
● Build relationships with media and other constituents in order to grow awareness and support of the organization and its work.
● Manage and mentor at least one direct report currently.
● In partnership with the Executive Director, prepare fundraising reports for Board of Directors' meetings, tracking and measuring progress against agreed upon metrics and deliverables, including cultivation and solicitation activities and dollars raised.
● Prepare, maintain, and oversee the development budget together with the ED and Senior Director, Finance & Operations. Meet regularly to review development-related income and expenses.
● Serve as an integral member of the leadership team.
● Must thrive in a highly collaborative and mission-driven culture
● A minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 7+ years’ development experience with demonstrated success in progressively responsible positions. Experience in small to mid-sized mission-driven organizations preferred.
● A minimum of three years’ managerial experience with additional experience building infrastructure.
● Proven track record of success in front-line fundraising, particularly working with individuals, business leaders, and private foundations.
● Familiarity with all aspects of fundraising -- annual giving, major/planned gifts, corporate and foundation relations, events, board relations, and capital campaigns.
● Exposure to communications and donor relations with an understanding of how these functions can bolster brand reputation and philanthropic support.
● A confident and engaging relationship builder capable of interacting with diverse constituencies, including board, major donors, and corporate leaders.
● Experience working in partnership with an institutional leader and board and performing as a strategic member of a senior staff.
● Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills and ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
● Strong organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to thrive in a highly dynamic work environment; flexibility, resourcefulness, and a good sense of humor required.
This position is based in Boston, MA; however, all staff are currently working remotely until further notice.
Interested applicants should apply with a cover letter and resume here: https://formstack.io/1016F. This position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Center for Collaborative Education is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Center for Collaborative Education seeks a Director of Development and Communications. The Director is responsible for strengthening and managing CCE’s fundraising program and development strategy while at the same time…