Posted: October 30, 2020
Title: Director of Development and Partnerships
Length of Position: Full-time (*initial 60-day probationary period)
Location: Irvine, CA
Call for Applicants: Visions is seeking candidates who are passionate about education, service, international development & social justice, and who are excited about the prospect of working for a growing grassroots nonprofit organization to join our team. We seek highly motivated, self-driven candidates with strong interpersonal skills and a professional background in development / fundraising who can help us to grow and manage a wide range of partners and donors in support of our global education and development work. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Introduction: Visions Global Empowerment (“Visions”) is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to youth education and empowerment. Founded in 2003 and incorporated as a 501c3 nonprofit organization in the U.S. in 2008, Visions’ mission is to enable social change through inclusive education, leadership development and technology for youth affected by poverty, conflict and disability. Visions strives to empower local civil society by partnering with nonprofits and other civil society partners to develop meaningful, thoughtful, and long-term programs that serve the most vulnerable and disadvantaged populations.
Our current countries of operation include Sri Lanka, India, Ethiopia, Nicaragua, and the U.S., where we have invested over $11 million in educational initiatives over the past 17 years and impacted more than 43,000 lives. Aside from our standard educational programming in these countries, two major initiatives have become the focus of our efforts in recent years – 1) Escuela Vera Angelita (“EVA”): a nonprofit boarding school for girls in Matagalpa, Nicaragua, and 2) TabSchool: a collaborative, open-source platform offering tools for high quality e-learning content creation and access.
Position Overview: This position will report to and work closely with both the Visions Executive Director and the TabSchool Education Director. As Visions has a growing portfolio of global education projects, each with its own particular fundraising and partnership needs, the Director of Development and Partnerships will be responsible for onboarding new partners and raising critical funds to sustain and grow EVA, TabSchool and Visions in general.
Visions already has established partnership strategies and some initial partners, as well as an initial prospects list for funding leads and opportunities for EVA, TabSchool and Visions in general. However, we are looking for an individual who brings their own knowledge, connections, ideas and leads to the table, and has a proven track record of fundraising success. We seek an experienced, results-oriented professional to propel us forward in securing partnerships and funding critical to our continued growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Communications, Public Administration, Nonprofit Administration, Business Administration, Fundraising, Leadership or related field
- Minimum 3+ years work experience in development / fundraising, partnerships management, or a related position
- Proven track record in delivering results and establishing new revenue streams and partnerships
- Strong understanding of the international nonprofit fundraising environment and grant-writing
- Strong interpersonal, networking, relationship-building, public speaking and communication skills
- Highly skilled in partnership and donor development, cultivation, direct solicitation and management
- Strong organization and time management skills, including the ability to multitask, attend to details, and prioritize workload
- Must be willing to work out of the Visions office located in Irvine, CA
Fundraising & Marketing
- Work closely with team members and with a professional PR / marketing firm to develop marketing collateral and promotional materials in order to effectively communicate the overall mission, brand, programs and priorities to donors, partners, and potential new leads
- Oversee all branding, marketing and PR efforts, including development of printed literature, social media content, audio-visual content, websites, digital marketing, press releases, etc. and ongoing management of all related marketing / PR efforts
- Develop specific guidelines (including naming rights), structure and marketing literature for all donor sponsorship opportunities for EVA (both one-time and recurring), and then actively market to and recruit donors.
- Assist Vera Hospitality Team in Nicaragua with ensuring local operations and revenue streams are functioning properly and are maximizing potential
- Develop strategy and marketing material for selling the EVA model to other prospective high-wealth donors with the intent of undertaking more such projects throughout Latin America
- Research grant opportunities, write grants, and regularly liaise with grant makers in order to drive in vital funding streams for all of Visions programs globally
- Utilize, maintain and grow Visions’ Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
- Foster and maintain relationships with donors, partners, and key stakeholders to share regular updates on efforts, progress, impact, financial needs and other opportunities for engagement
- Onboard new donors (corporate, individual, organizational, institutional, governmental, etc.) and increase revenue streams
For EVA specifically:
- Market to and establish new partnerships with universities / colleges, schools, organizations, clubs, associations, nonprofits, companies, individuals, etc. in facilitating service, service-learning, or retreat trips to the Vera Estate on a regular, year-round basis
- Research and develop opportunities for themed retreat options and ideas, including development of marketing literature and website
- Establish partnerships with local and international academic institutions or groups for studying and documenting the impact and success of our unique school curriculum/model
For TabSchool specifically:
- In conjunction with the TabSchool Education Team, pursue and secure content partnerships and signed license agreements with organizations and companies creating quality e-books, videos, games, curriculum and e-learning applications
- In consultation with the TabSchool Education Team, market and recruit contributors and partners globally, across different languages, with the aim of increasing the number of registered platform users who contribute to e-learning game creation and adaptation
- Establish partnerships with governments, NGOs, companies, financial institutions, universities / colleges and other stakeholders for rolling out the TabSchool program to users worldwide once available
- Build out the network of partners (including teachers, consultants, professors, coding groups, academics, technologists, etc.) for “Teach for TabSchool”, “Tech for TabSchool” and other similar outreach programs that contribute to the development of TabSchool
- Seek out and keep the team informed about relevant education technology or technology conferences, and attend such conferences in order to network and share about TabSchool
- Cultivate relationships with universities and other relevant organizations and institutions with the goal of securing partners for evaluation and impact studies
For Visions in general:
- In conjunction with other team members, support the establishment of new partnerships for educational programs and financial support in all countries (including Sri Lanka, India, Ethiopia, Nicaragua, U.S.A., etc.) as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Graduate Degree in Economics, Finance, Communications, Public Administration, Nonprofit Administration, Business Administration, Fundraising, Leadership or related field
- Nonprofit (especially international nonprofit) professional experience
Compensation: Negotiable; commensurate with experience (*Visions does not currently offer any benefits)
To apply: Qualified candidates should please email us at Johanna@VisionsEducation.org with your CV (including names and contact info for 2 references) and a cover letter.