The Controller is responsible for the cash receipts process, the restricted grant process, and month-end close process for Defenders of Wildlife. The Controller ensures optimum compliance with generally accepted accounting principles in completion of these areas of responsibility; the efficient and effective use of internal controls; and regular application of best practices. The Controller has supervisory responsibilities over three accounting staff members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Own the integrity of cash receipts data from the CRM Database and the import of this data into the Accounting Database
- Oversee the recording of all third-party cash receipts and in-house cash receipts in the Accounting Database
- Ensure proper application of accounting principles for cash receipts representing split interest agreements
- Work closely with the Marketing department on all matters impacting the accounting and reconciliation of cash receipts from the CRM Database to the Accounting Database
- Own the operations and integrity of the Restricted Grant/Project Management Database used to track and manage grant spending activity over the life cycle of the grant
- Ensure proper accounting of restricted grants in accordance with FAS 116
- Ensure proper accounting for all government grants in accordance with relevant OMB circulars
- Oversee accounting for all restricted grants including allocation of overhead
- Ensure timely reconciliation of all restricted grants, working with Development department and Program departments and Development to address any over or underspending on grants
- Conduct monthly restricted grant meetings with Development department and Program departments to review status of all restricted grants
- Work closely with Development department and Program departments to develop the annual Board Approved budgets for all restricted grants
- Responsible for the coordination of the month-end close process
- Responsible for proper completion of monthly investment account reconciliations
- Responsible for proper completion of additional balance sheet account reconciliations related to the cash receipts and restricted grants processes including accounts receivable (grants /bequests/ misc.), deferred revenue, etc.
- Manage the communication and reporting related to month-end close to all relevant staff
- Responsible for the coordination of the year-end audit process and annual Form 990 process, including communicating with the external auditors, distributing audit requests to relevant Finance staff and ensuring that all audit requests are fulfilled
- Work closely with the Marketing Department and Senior Manager, Compliance on annual data collection from the Marketing department related to cause marketing partners, commercial co-ventures, professional fundraisers, etc.
- Work closely with Senior Manager, Compliance to ensure consistent reporting of all fiscal year-end data across the Audited Financials, Form 990 and state solicitation registrations.
Leadership, Supervision and Coaching
- With the CFO, lead the Finance team in effective support of the Organizations’ Finance needs
- Communicate duties and responsibilities to direct report and monitor performance
- Provide regular coaching and counseling
- Prepare and deliver performance appraisals for direct reports
- Undertake special projects as assigned
- Continually identify and implement process improvements
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent
Experience: 10 years of relevant experience; 5 years supervisory experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.