The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization whose mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence, and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC Delegation in New York City is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations and plays a key role in humanitarian diplomacy. Key international policies that originate at the UN in New York can affect the ICRC’s field operations and development of the law and policy. Therefore, ICRC NYC engages externally in humanitarian diplomacy on the countries of concern where the ICRC is operational, and on priority concerns of the ICRC’s field delegations which translate into thematic ICRC concerns to be raised with UN Member States, UN entities and other relevant interlocutors.
NYC team members must be highly motivated, skilled relationship-builders, curious and flexible, and quickly able to adapt to the fast-paced and ever-changing dynamics at UNHQ and with Permanent Missions. Good political instincts, the ability to think outside the box and the ability to capitalize on opportunities are indispensable
ICRC New York Delegation to the UN, is seeking an energetic, bright, experienced and highly motivated person with the history of high performance to support Directors, to fill the position of:
Executive Assistant & Information Management Officer
The Executive Assistant and Information Management Officer (EA & IMO), will provide high-level administrative support to the Management team (Permanent Observer and Deputy Permanent Observer). Having a broad vision of the Delegation's activities and overview of confidential and priority issues, the EA & IMO facilitates the work for the Management team and ensure proper functioning of the Delegation. The EA & IMO is responsible for information management and will act as a reference person for written protocols, correspondence and information platform systems, as well as organizing training for staff members.
This challenging role requires attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to meet tight deadlines while juggling multiple critical requests. Fast and meticulous, the successful candidate will possess the skills to complete complex tasks in an autonomous yet coordinated way, react with appropriate urgency to situations which require a quick turnaround, be able to take effective action without having to know the complete picture, and efficiently and proactively solve difficult or complex problems that affect people within the department or other related groups.
Support to the Management team
- Acts as a facilitator within the management team and eases decision-making process, ensuring a coordinated and consistent workflow.
- Manages complex calendar and scheduling for the Permanent Observer taking proactively the strategic priorities of the delegation into account.
- Coordinates external meetings, events, strategic long-term planning for visitors as well as briefing materials, including speaking points, bios and topics.
- Organizes institutional missions to New York for high level representatives from the ICRC covering files of crosscutting nature.
- Participates in the organization of high-level ICRC visits (President, Director General, etc..) and coordinates the preparation of briefing and specific files.
- Maintains an active professional network of high-level contacts and counterparts in the diplomatic corps.
- Supervises the reception of visitors having appointments with the Permanent Observer and helps to organize receptions, briefings and other events at which protocol must be observed.
- Provides weekly updates to relevant colleagues regarding all visitors’ activity and work to ensure that overall objectives set by the Management team are met.
- Organizes and participates to internal meetings and takes minutes of meeting upon request, follows up on deadlines and implementation of decisions and strategies, points out problems.
- Manages a database Contacts of external interlocutors for the Management team and supervises the updating of other departments’ contacts.
- Actively engages in the yearly planning exercise by managing the correct and timely use of the internal ICRC tool, supporting the entire team; facilitate the monitoring and assessment of the set objectives throughout the year.
- Independently drafts diplomatic correspondence for the Permanent Observer.
Support to the General Assembly (GA) team
- Provides support for delivery of ICRC speeches during the GA (scheduling, UN Papersmart system, copies, etc.).
- Maintains contacts with relevant UN GA officials concerning meeting schedules, ICRC statements.
- Registers ICRC in the relevant UN Committees and makes sure to sign up Delegation for delivering statements as required.
- Informs desk (Headquarter in Switzerland) once statements are delivered.
- Manages and coordinates a coherent and efficient information flow within the office, ensuring that policies, procedures and directives are applied by all staff members.
- Establishes and revises information management procedures and guidelines, including security and protection of sensitive data.
- Makes sure that the external presentations, letterhead stationery, business cards, envelopes, etc. comply with the applicable visual identity rules.
- Organizes, manages, updates and monitors the information shared on platform systems (SharePoint, IBM Lotus Notes, Intranet, web-based application)
- Controls and updates the data access rights ensuring policy compliance.
- Develops and maintains the Record Management system and procedures for the Delegation.
- Provides training to staff members on information management, written protocol and correspondence, record management, document security, as well as ICRC computing systems.
- Provides support and advice to staff members on technical issues / questions.
- Coordinates and works closely with the Regional Information Management Adviser to set goals and priorities in order to achieve the objectives based on the Information Environment Strategy (IES);
- Keeps knowledge and skills up to date on technology system and rapidly adapt to changes.
- Ensures that received UN documents are properly distributed within the Delegation and transmitted to Headquarters and/or Regions as necessary.
- University degree or certification as an executive assistant, event manager.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization.
- Proficiency in English, with knowledge of Spanish or French an asset.
- Technically savvy with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint and IBM Lotus Notes.
- Expertise in Information management, records management, project management.
- Experience with calendar management and event / meeting planning.
- Knowledge of UN documents system, a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to produce written material of a high standard without supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through with a high-level of accuracy.
- Outstanding organizational, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Pro-activeness to set priorities under tight deadlines.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, sense of initiative, curiosity and creativity.
- Energetic and perseverant with ability to work independently with minimal guidance to drive things forward in a disciplined manner.
- Service orientated with experience in problem solving and decision making.
- Strong leadership, teamwork and coordination skills.
- Interest and capacity to train staff members, with pedagogical skills.
- Capacity to represent the ICRC to high-level contacts and counterparts in the diplomatic corps.
- Adaptable to a continually evolving international environment.
- Proven ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Must possess the ability to effectively interact with a variety of people with tact and diplomacy and work well under stressful situations.