P.O. Box 65323
Position: Direct Marketing Manager
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Major Gifts Officer
Location: Washington DC
Direct Reports: N/A
Date Issued: August 21, 2018
Date Revised: N/A
Polaris is a leading non-governmental organization combating human trafficking and modern-day slavery, with programs operating at the international, national, and local levels through our headquarters office in Washington, D.C. Founded in 2002, Polaris is currently in a period of rapid growth in order to achieve a bold vision for an increased global presence and the introduction of new programs aimed at strategic interventions to disrupt human trafficking where it is occurring and restoring freedom to survivors. More details about our programs and history can be found on our web site at www.polarisproject.org. Polaris seeks a Direct Marketing Manager to join our Development team and contribute to a dynamic fundraising program of a rapidly growing non-profit.
About the Opportunity
The Direct Marketing Manager plays a critical role in growing Polaris’s individual donor base. The individual in this role implements and coordinates all direct response fundraising activities with a focus on integrated multi-channel campaigns and tactics. This includes donor acquisition, special appeals, lapsed donor re-solicitation, renewal, upgrades, cultivation, and stewardship both off and online.
The Direct Marketing Manager works with a full service external fundraising agency to develop an overarching strategy and plan for direct response efforts. This role also requires frequent and extensive internal collaboration with the Digital Marketing Specialist and Development Operations Manager.
- Coordinates direct response plans and strategy implementation in coordinate with the Communications team and a full service consultant;
- Manages relationship with the consultant to implement multi-channel direct response marketing programs relative to data needs, copy and creative development, print production and performance analysis;
- Develops, updates and adheres to a direct response campaign calendar;
- Coordinates and staffs production calls and meetings that include both internal and external partners
- Reviews and edits proofs and proactively coordinates the approval process;
- Establishes and implements back-end processing in Salesforce and Engaging Networks;
- Accurately perform routine segmentation processes, build marketing efforts, and import data files;
- Work closely with the Development Operations Manager to problem solve and address data issues;
- Ensures fidelity to brand and overall messaging in direct marketing materials;
- Identify middle level and major donor prospects from direct response pool;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- 3-5 years of experience executing direct mail initiatives in a fundraising or membership department;
- Strong familiarity with the practices and techniques of direct response marketing and fundraising;
- Familiarity working with a relationship database;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong editorial skills and a proof-reader’s eye for detail;
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow processes and stay on schedule;
- Ability to gather, distill and communicate input from multiple stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
· Experience using Salesforce and Engaging Network software;
· Experience working with an external full service fundraising agency;
· Commitment to and interest in social justice and human rights;
· Specific interest in human trafficking.
· Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisor, Development peers and IT colleagues.
· External: Ability to work with an external full service fundraising agency.
· Typical office setting
· Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal;
· Occasional bending, stooping and stretching;
· Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment;
· Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone;
· Requires occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.
Minimum Education Required